Lexus has done it again, now with the updated 2017 Lexus IS 200t. With a more aggressive and menacing front, Lexus has managed to retain some of the notable features from the previous line-ups to create a refreshed 2017 look.
At first glance, it would seem that both the 2016 and 2017 models appear somewhat similar. But look closer and you will notice that the iconic Lexus spindle grille on the new model incorporates two larger air intake vents at the bottom and the brake vents on the front lip is placed more vertically, tastefully complementing the front grille.
The new LED headlights now sport a more tapered design with intelligent high beams compared with double LED projectors in the previous model.
Look at the external rear and the racer in you will immediately notice the sporty rectangular exhaust pipes blending in with the geometric lines on the rear diffuser.
The restyled LED taillights are also refreshed with more angular lines fusing seamlessly into the bodywork.
In the interior, there are some minor updates such as a redesigned two-cup holder on the centre console and restyled information navigation buttons on the steering wheel – but the sporty chunky steering grip is maintained.
Apart from all the aesthetics that we love from Lexus, these are the top 5 features that make the new 2017 IS 200t impossible to ignore:
1. Racing pedigree. Under the hood of this beast is a familiar 2.0l turbo engine spitting out 241hp and 350Nm of torque, mated to a quick shifting 8-speed Sport Direct Shift paddle-shift transmission. Launching from zero to a hundred kilometres an hour takes only 6.9 seconds. The Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), although only available in the F SPORT variant greatly enhances handling stability and ride comfort, taking into account G force, yaw rate and speed sensors. There are three modes to select from; Eco mode, Normal mode and Sport S/S+ mode.
2. Top-notch driving safety. Driving safety remains paramount for the Lexus IS 200t. The four-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) maintains steering control while braking, and the Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) modulates the amount of stopping power sent to the front and rear wheels for more control. The Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) in the F SPORT model minimises body roll and absorbs vibrations.
Another safety tech is the Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert that helps drivers change lanes. The car’s Direct Tire Pressure Monitor System will continually monitor the air pressure on all four tires and alerts the driver if it detects a drop in tire pressure.
3. 10 supplemental restraint airbag system. The 10-airbag system that comes standard with both the Turbo, F SPORT and Hybrid is able to detect whether the seat is vacant or occupied. In an event that the system detects a vacant seat, the system prevents the passenger’s front and side airbags from being deployed.
4. Interior comfort is not neglected. Despite the savage performance the car offers, the driver and passengers are still pampered with heated and ventilated power adjustable low-set sports seats wrapped in smooth leather, offering unparalleled comfort. The dual-zone climate control is also easily toggled with sensitive electrostatic based control panels.
5. Personal Entertainment. The 2017 model now comes with a larger 10.3 inch high resolution EMV (Electro Multi Vision) Navigator that was previously 7 inches. The F SPORT and Hybrid variant comes with the Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system, boasting 15 speakers driven by 835-watts of power that creates a concert-like feel in the cabin. All these are controlled with Remote Touch Interface (RTI) placed on the centre console.
Want to know what it’s like driving a Lexus IS 200t? Find out more or book a test drive: http://www.lexusasia.com/