Police treat the incident where a van hit people outside a Finsbury Park mosque as a ‘potential terrorist attack’

caption
Police officers attend to the scene after a vehicle collided with pedestrians near a mosque in the Finsbury Park neighborhood of North London, Britain June 19, 2017.
source
Reuters
    A van ploughed into pedestrians near Finsbury Park Mosque in North London. A man has been killed by the collision and eight people have been injured. Prime Minister Theresa May said police were treating it “as a potential terrorist attack.” A 48-year-old man has been arrested.

LONDON – Prime Minister Theresa May said the van ploughing into pedestrians near the Finsbury Park Mosque in North London is being treated as a “potential terrorist attack” by police. May will chair an emergency meeting later on Monday.

A man driving a white van mounted a pavement and hit a group of worshippers exiting the mosque just after midnight. The attack has killed one man and injured 8 others, so far. A 48-year-old man has been arrested. The police confirmed at 6:53 a.m. BST (1:53 a.m. ET) that they are not looking for anyone else in connection to the attack.

The Muslim Council of Britain said a van intentionally ran over worshippers as many of the victims are believed to have just left evening prayers at the Muslim Welfare House after breaking the Ramadan fast.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said in a statement:

“The Metropolitan Police are responding to a horrific terrorist attack on innocent people in Finsbury Park.

“One person has died at the scene, eight more are injured in hospital and two more were treated for injuries at the scene.

“My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected. I am grateful to our emergency services, who responded quickly and have been working on the scene throughout the night.

“I have been in contact with the Met Commissioner and senior officers and am being kept updated on all developments. I have also spoken with community organisations in the area, local MP Jeremy Corbyn and leader of the council Richard Watts.

“We don’t yet know the full details, but this was clearly a deliberate attack on innocent Londoners, many of whom were finishing prayers during the holy month of Ramadan.

“While this appears to be an attack on a particular community, like the terrible attacks in Manchester, Westminster and London Bridge it is also an assault on all our shared values of tolerance, freedom and respect.

“The situation is still unfolding and I urge all Londoners to remain calm and vigilant. Please report anything suspicious to the police, but only call 999 in an emergency.

“The Met have deployed extra police to reassure communities, especially those observing Ramadan.

“For further updates or information please follow the Metropolitan Police on Twitter.”

This is a developing story …