- Netflix and Media Rights Capital have suspended production of “House of Cards,” Business Insider confirmed. The two companies have halted the show in what is meant to be the sixth and final season. The news comes two days after actor Anthony Rapp made a sexual misconduct allegation against Kevin Spacey, the show’s star.
Netflix has suspended production on its sixth and final season of “House of Cards,” in light of a sexual misconduct allegation against the show’s star, Kevin Spacey, Netflix confirmed to Business Insider.
“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on ‘House of Cards’ season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” the two companies said in a joint statement. “House of Cards” was in production in Baltimore.
The companies added they were “deeply troubled” by the allegation against Spacey.
Netflix announced Monday that the show’s sixth season would be its last. The news followed an allegation of sexual misconduct against Spacey by the actor Anthony Rapp, who said Spacey made a sexual advance toward him in 1986, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26.
Following the accusation, Spacey wrote an apology that he posted on Twitter, in which he came out as gay, and said that he did “not remember the encounter,” but that if it happened it “would have been deeply inappropriate, drunken behavior.”
Spacey’s apology drew widespread criticism, especially from the LGBTQ community.
The show’s cancellation was reportedly not an effect of the Spacey allegation, as the decision had been in the works since the summer, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
While it is unclear when or whether the show’s sixth season will continue production, Netflix reportedly has three “House of Cards” spinoffs in the works.
Deadline first reported the news of the show’s suspension.