- Chris Jackson/Getty Images for Ascot Racecourse
- A New York City family is hiring a live-in “domestic couple” to oversee cooking, cleaning, childcare, and construction at their second home.
- The salary for two people is between $100,000 and $150,000 a year.
- Typical duties include laundry, meal prep, packing for travel, and personal shopping.
You don’t have to be rich to live among the wealthy.
One family in New York City is hiring a live-in “domestic couple” to oversee cooking, cleaning, childcare, and construction at their second home, a 30,000-square-foot townhouse.
The “prominent Upper East Side couple” is looking for a team of two workers to act as “gatekeepers to the principals ensuring all aspects of the home are adequately operating at all times,” the listing says.
The listing was provided to Business Insider by David Youdovin, the founder and CEO of Hire Society, a recruitment firm that helps high-net-worth individuals and families in New York City, the Hamptons, and Palm Beach staff their homes and businesses.
“The vast majority of our clients are the 0.01% – they have multiple homes, private aircraft, and several members of domestic staff,” said Youdovin, who worked as a butler and estate manager for billionaires before founding Hire Society in 2012.
The full-time job pays between $100,000 and $150,000 a year, depending on the applicants’ level of experience, and offers perks like private living quarters within the home, an allowance for food and expenses, and medical, dental, and vision insurance.
It’s not unusual for rich families to shell out millions of dollars a year to employ butlers, chefs, chauffeurs, housekeepers, and nannies. But a domestic couple tends directly to the family and typically manages other household staff members.
Check out the full job description:
Prominent Upper East Side couple seeks an experienced, highly organized, and thorough domestic couple to oversee, manage, and maintain their 30,000 square-foot townhouse. This position is live-in, full-time, with a five days on, two days off work schedule. Candidates must be flexible with scheduling. Days worked may change weekly as this is the principal’s secondary residence and additional days/hours may be needed.
The couple will act as gatekeepers to the residence ensuring all aspects of the home are operational. The role entails: housekeeping, laundry, cooking, serving, management of vendors/contractors, and overseeing construction.
The ideal candidates must have experience cooking healthy formal meals as well as extensive silver service experience. The candidates must be comfortable attending to Mr. and Mrs., as well as their extended family as needed. The couple will be hands-on in residence, understanding when to be present and when to work behind the scenes. Accommodations will be provided in the form of a separate private room and bath within the residence.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing and providing full-time care of the family’s residence
- Museum-quality cleaning throughout the home with attention to bedrooms, special surfaces and bathrooms, etc.
- Full laundry duties including washing, ironing, steaming, closet organization, managing a list of garments that have been sent out for professional service, etc.
- Packing and unpacking clothes for travel
- Preparing fresh and healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner adhering to all dietary restrictions and requests
- Formal service and meal preparation upon request for luncheons, dinner parties, etc. including table set-up, floral arrangements, bartending, wine pouring and pairing, and guest greeting & socialization
- Personal shopping, running errands, stock procurement, and special requests
- Heavy organization throughout the home including pantries, kitchen, closets, etc.
- Ability to work in tandem and oversee: vendors, contractors, and additional domestic staff
- Knowledge and ability to operate smart home systems: Lutron, Crestron, Kaleidescape
- Driving the principals as requested to and from appointments, errands, meetings, etc.
- Any and all other duties or requests related to the needs of the principals and household