Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Friday.
1. Trump criticized the US for accepting immigrants from “shithole” countries. US officials and international diplomats were swift to condemn Trump’s statement.
2. Russian President Vladimir Putin called Kim Jong Un “shrewd and mature.” He added that Kim had “obviously won this round” against the West.
3. Trump reportedly cancelled his upcoming visit to the UK.Plans for Trump’s visit were also reportedly reconsidered following his Twitter attack on UK Prime Minister Theresa May in November.
4. Trump will announce on Friday if he plans to reimpose sanctions on Iran. Trump decertified the 2015 Iran agreement in October, and US allies are urging him to keep the deal in place.
5. European Parliament member Nigel Farage has called for a second Brexit referendum. May reached a Brexit deal last month and the UK is set to leave the EU next year.
6. Japan clashed with China after a Chinese ship entered disputed waters. China and Japan have long been at odds over claims to the East China Sea.
7. Facebook plans to again change how its news feed works. It will give prominence to content from friends and family and downplay content by brands.
8. An Austrian minister, from a Nazi-linked party, said he wanted to ‘concentrate’ asylum seekers in one place. The Holocaust-era language angered many.
9. Thousands of Peruvians protested against the decision to pardon their former president. Alberto Fujimori Fujimori was serving 25 years for human rights abuses and corruption but was pardoned in December.
10. A Dutch startup has created an app so people can legally consent to sex. The app was created in the wake of the #MeToo movement and hopes to establish clear lines of communication around sexual acts.