- A wedding budget is essential when planning for your big day.
- On average, Americans spend $33,391 on their weddings, with the venue and engagement ring being the most expensive.
- Seemingly small details can drive up a wedding budget, including the floral arrangements, transportation, and party favors.
Deciding how to break down your wedding budget can be overwhelming.
Americans spend $33,391 on average for their weddings, according to the The Knot’s 2017 Real Weddings Study. Much of the average wedding budget is spent on the venue itself.
However, other factors – including the floral arrangments, catering, and party favors – can drive up a wedding budget if you aren’t careful.
The amount of guests is also a contributing factor to the overall wedding budget. While there’s a current trend toward hosting fewer guests, the average cost per guest is increasing. That’s because couples want to create a unique and memorable experience for all those involved, The Knot found.
- Jenny Cheng/Business Insider
Below, see how couples across the US spend their wedding budget for their big day. Prices listed first represent the average spender, according to The Knot’s survey, while prices listed second represent the highest spender.
Venue (reception hall): $15,163 – $42,801
Engagement ring: $5,764 – $13,933
- Wesley Tingey/Unsplash
Reception band: $4,019 – $7,145
- Natalia Kabliuk/Shutterstock
Photographer: $2,630 – $5,130
- Stakhov Yuriy/Shutterstock
Florist/decor: $2,379 – $6,050
- Shelli Jensen/Shutterstock
Ceremony site: $2,311 – $2,966
- Nopparat Nambunyen/Shutterstock
Wedding/event planner: $1,988 – $3,775
- Dragon Images/Shutterstock
Videographer: $1,912 – $3,214
- E. Leet/Shutterstock
Wedding dress: $1,509 – $3,158
Rehearsal dinner: $1,285 – $3,197
Reception DJ: $1,231 – $2,300
- Mark Umbrella/Shutterstock
Transportation: $830 – $1,388
- Ramon Espelt Photography/Shutterstock
Ceremony musicians: $761 – $1,249
Wedding cake: $540 – $1,097
Invitations: $408 – $1,098
Groom’s attire: $284 – $463
- Bogdan Sonjachnyj/Shutterstock
Officiant: $284 – $491
- Paul Rich Studio/Shutterstock
Favors: $252 – $488
Catering (per person): $70 – $154
- Marija Kerekes/Shutterstock