Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Tuesday.
1. Apple took a direct shot at Facebook on Monday during its annual developer conference. The company announced new privacy controls and software features to let users block distracting apps and avoid online tracking.
2. After talks were first reported by Business Insider, Microsoft confirmed over the weekend it is acquiring GitHub for a whopping $7.5 billion. The deal is expected to close by the end of the year.
3. Internal documents reviewed by Business Insider reveal just how much of a nightmare Tesla’s production is for the Model 3. The car company is blowing through substantial amounts of raw materials and cash, the documents show.
4. Apple is bringing personalised emoji to the iPhone, so users can create their own mini-mes in avatar form. Apple calls the new avatars Memoji and they will mimic users’ facial expressions and head movements.
5. Twitter has disbanded its live-video business unit responsible for deals with programming partners like Disney/ESPN, MLB and BuzzFeed, Variety reported. The unit will be consolidated under its content-partnerships team.
6. Apple CEO Tim Cook had an unsubtle dig at Facebook during an interview with CNN, where he said “the privacy thing is really out of control.” He said the government needed to step in with regulation because tech self-regulation wasn’t working.
7. Washington state is suing Facebook and Google for failing to disclose who has been buying online political ads since 2013. The two companies have recently pledged to create online archives of political ads so people can see who’s trying to persuade them to vote.
8. YouTube is reportedly restricting LGBT videos and even adding anti-LGBT ads to some videos, according to The Verge. Trans creator Chase Ross said he struggles with age verification and demonetisation on his videos on a regular basis.
9. Former Thinx CEO Miki Agrawal is back, this time with a bidet startup. Agrawal has launched Tushy, which wants to make the bidet mainstream in the US and kill toilet paper.
10. Emoji are getting a huge update today. Among the new emoji will be people with red hair, cupcakes, superheroes, bagels, toilet paper, kangaroos, and llamas.