Days after a purported public meetup involving several Malaysian crown princes was announced, the event has apparently been cancelled, with two of the princes denying any involvement.
Posters featuring three princes – Johor’s Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim, Pahang’s Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Alam Shah Al-Sultan Abdullah, and Selangor’s Tengku Amir Shah Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah – were circulating on Facebook as early as Saturday (April 27).
According to the poster, the three princes – and a mystery fourth prince, whose identity would be revealed at the supposed event – would meet the public at a “teh tarik” session on Monday (April 29) evening in Makhota Parade, a shopping mall in Melaka.
It added that members of the public could take selfies with the princes at the event.
The poster did not identify any event organiser.
Details of the event were subsequently shared on social media by Umno supreme council member Lokman Noor bin Adam, leading some to speculate that it was organised by the opposition political party.
SESSI TEH TARIK 4 PUTERA MAHKOTA BERSAMA RAKYAT
Tarikh : 29hb April, 2019 (Isnin) Masa : 5.30 petang Tempat : Mahkota Parade, Bandar Hilir, Melaka
Semua rakyat dijemput untuk memeriahkan… https://t.co/2DkoPKWQLu
— Dato’ Lokman Adam (@LokmanAdam) April 27, 2019
A day later, on April 28, the Instagram account of the Selangor royal family posted an update denying prince Tengku Amir Shah’s involvement in the event, adding that the prince’s photo was used without the palace’s consent.
View this post on Instagram
📜KENYATAAN DARIPADA PEJABAT DYTM RAJA MUDA SELANGOR📜 ✨ Adalah dengan ini dimaklumkan bahawa Pejabat DYTM Raja Muda Selangor menafikan penglibatan DYTM Raja Muda Selangor Tengku Amir Shah dalam program Santai Teh Tarik bersama 4 Putra Mahkota seperti yang tertera di dalam poster yang tular baru-baru ini. . Penggunaan gambar DYTM Raja Muda Selangor tanpa kebenaran rasmi pihak Istana Selangor juga amatlah dikesali. . Justeru, rakyat diingatkan agar tidak mudah terpengaruh dengan maklumat palsu yang mengelirukan tanpa pengesahan rasmi pihak Istana. . . Saidatul Asyikin Muhammad Johar Setiausaha Sulit kepada DYTM Raja Muda Selangor Istana Mestika 28 April 2019
Pahang’s crown prince Tengku Hassanal also denied involvement in the event, Bernama reported. A source from Pahang Palace told Bernama that the event was not listed on the prince’s itinerary.
Shortly after, Lokman said on Facebook that the event had been cancelled. He added that the event had been an initiative by the “Istana” (palace), without clarifying which palace he was referring to.
Lokman said he had publicised the event on social media to “enliven” the turnout. He added that the event was not an Umno event, but since his post had spread among Umno members, it had led the perception that it was an Umno event.
This had eventually led to a sultan advising one of the crown princes to postpone the event to avoid drawing potential political association with Umno, Lokman added, without naming the sultan or the prince.