- villagemoon/ iStock
- On Tuesday, an 11-year-old boy potentially died after he smelled, but did not eat, cooked fish at his grandmother’s house, INSIDER previously reported.
- According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI), people with fish allergies should avoid areas where fish is being cooked “as proteins may be released into the air during cooking” and cause an allergic reaction.
- When airborne, certain foods like fish and nuts can cause severe allergic reactions like anaphylaxis, which can hinder a person’s breathing to the point of death if left untreated, ACAAI explained.
A heartbreaking story about a boy who may have died from the smell of fish is helping to raise awareness about the severity of food allergies, especially airborne ones. On Tuesday, an 11-year-old boy died after he smelled, but did not eat, cooked fish at his grandmother’s house, INSIDER previously reported.
A spokesperson from the NYPD told INSIDER that the boy potentially died from a fish allergy when his body sensed the food in the air as it was cooked.
When they found the boy, Camron Jean-Pierre, unconscious, they took him to the hospital where he was ultimately pronounced dead. His father said he tried to revive him with a nebulizer, a device that turns liquid medications into mists, but was unsuccessful, The New York Post reported.
Jean-Pierre’s extreme reaction to fish is more common than you may think. A 2009 study on food hypersensitivity through inhalation found that out of 197 children who were allergic to fish through consumption, 21 of them also showed signs they were allergic to fish through inhalation of its smell.
Some food particles that cause allergic reactions can be spread through the air, putting people with allergies in harm’s way
Adding potential allergens to food labels and asking about food allergies before serving dinner are common practices for keeping people with food allergies safe, but few people realize the dangers of airborne allergens.
According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI), people with fish allergies should avoid areas where fish is being cooked “as proteins may be released into the air during cooking” and cause an allergic reaction.
Medical professionals, as well as public figures, are trying to raise awareness about the risk of airborne allergic reactions. One of those public figures is “Real Housewives of New York” star Bethenny Frankel who, according to USA Today, recently had to have a plane rerouted after learning fish was being cooked on board.
“Called airline (multiple times) to say I have fish allergy. Got on & they’re serving bass,” Frankel shared on Twitter. “They couldn’t not serve it they said.”
Called airline mult x to say I have fish allergy. Got on & they’re serving bass. They couldn’t not serve it they said. Then they were turning around which I protested bc it would delay people. Cabin asked to not serve it & pilot made announcement to plane. That was fun. #epilife
— Bethenny Frankel (@Bethenny) January 3, 2019
After reliving the ordeal, she reminded people that when fish is transmitted by air, it can be “fatal.”
To clarify: some allergens are transmitted by touch & air. Fish is one & is fatal. The more exposure to them, the more susceptible. It’s not like an immunity thing where more exposure means less susceptible. It’s opposite. I’ve always kept it quiet but that’s over now.
— Bethenny Frankel (@Bethenny) January 3, 2019
Unless a person has the proper medication, these airborne particles can be fatal
When airborne, certain foods like fish and nuts can cause severe allergic reactions like anaphylaxis, which can hinder a person’s breathing to the point of death if left untreated, ACAAI explained. This allergic reaction occurs when the body senses an allergen and the immune system overcompensates with chemicals, causing hives, chest tightness, trouble swallowing, and trouble breathing, among other symptoms, according to ACAAI.
Oftentimes, anaphylaxis can be life-threatening, especially if a person doesn’t have the right medicine to treat the reaction, the Mayo Clinic explained. The only way to stop anaphylaxis is through the injection of epinephrine, a drug that must be prescribed by a healthcare provider. Then, a person has to go to the emergency room. According to the Mayo Clinic, if a person does not have epinephrine, they should go to the emergency room right away.
In severe cases, a person going through this reaction could stop breathing and their heart could stop beating, making CPR a requirement, the Mayo Clinic said on its website.
If you think someone around you is experiencing this potentially fatal reaction, which might appear in the form of clammy skin and trouble breathing, the Mayo Clinic recommends calling 911 right away and administering CPR if needed.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.