- Marc Piasecki/Getty Images
- Artist Alexandra Grant, 46, who is rumored to be dating actor Keanu Reeves, 55, revealed why she doesn’t dye her gray hair on Instagram.
- Grant shared a screengrab of a Newsweek article about a study linking permanent hair dying to an increased risk of breast cancer.
- The visual artist wrote that she went gray prematurely in her early 20s, but she stopped dying her hair and went “blonde” in her 30s. Grant wrote that adhering to beauty standards aren’t worth the health risk.
- “I love and support that every womxn can choose how she wants to look at every age,” she said in the Instagram post. “But/and, if womxn are perishing from beauty standards… then let’s talk about those beauty standards. Love to all womxn!”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Grant shared screengrab of a Newsweek article on her Instagram of a study that found women who regularly use permanent hair dye could face an increased risk of breast cancer of up to 60 percent, according to the International Journal of Cancer. In a study of 46,709 women ages 35-74, researchers found a positive correlation suggesting “chemicals in hair products may play a role in breast carcinogenesis.”
“Wow. Today’s news… The numbers are staggering, especially for womxn of color,” Grant wrote in the caption. “I went gray prematurely in my early 20’s… and dyed my hair every color along the way until I couldn’t tolerate the toxicity of the dyes any more.”
The visual artist wrote that she stopped dying her hair and went “blonde” in her 30s. Grant said that adhering to beauty standards aren’t worth the health risk.
“I love and support that every womxn can choose how she wants to look at every age,” she wrote. “But/and, if womxn are perishing from beauty standards… then let’s talk about those beauty standards. Love to all womxn!”
Rumors surrounding Grant and Reeves’ relationship sparked in November, when the duo was photographed holding hands at LACMA Art + Film Gala.
- Read more:
- Meet Alexandra Grant, the award-winning visual artist who many speculate is Keanu Reeves’ new girlfriend
- Keanu Reeves held hands with artist Alexandra Grant on the red carpet, seemingly confirming his first public romance in decades
- How Keanu Reeves overcame a troubled childhood and heartbreaking losses to become Hollywood’s most beloved actor