- A bipartisan group of lawmakers including Rand Paul, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Ilhan Omar sent a letter to President Donald Trump on Wednesday.
- The letter praised the president’s December announcement that the US would begin to withdraw US troops from Syria.
- “We believe that the stated intention of withdrawing our forces is appropriate, and we look forward to the orderly return of our service members from this theater of conflict,” the letter said.
A bipartisan group of lawmakers from both chambers of Congress sent a letter to President Donald Trump on Wednesday to support the president’s decision to withdraw American troops from Syria.
The letter was signed by a politically diverse group of lawmakers including Republican Sens. Mike Lee and Rand Paul, along with freshman Democratic Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar.
“The 2015 introduction of U.S. military forces into hostilities in Syria was never approved by Congress, in violation of the Constitution and the War Powers Resolution of 1973,” the letter reads. “We believe that the stated intention of withdrawing our forces is appropriate, and we look forward to the orderly return of our service members from this theater of conflict.”
Paul and Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna crafted the letter, which was then signed by the lawmakers who collectively span Congress’ political spectrum.
The bipartisan letter praised Trump’s decision to remove troops, urged the president to follow through on his original announcement within the next six months, and expressed hope that the decision would be a model for ending US involvement in other conflicts.
“It is long past time to rein in the use of force that goes beyond congressional authorization, and we look forward to pursuing this longstanding bipartisan objective with your Administration,” the letter reads. “Finally, we hope this will serve as a model for ending hostilities in the future – in particular, as you and your administration seek a political solution to our involvement in Afghanistan.”
The Pentagon said Friday that 1,000 of the 2,000 US troops currently in the country will depart in early May and the US plans to reduce the total force remaining in the country down to 400.
Here are all the signatories of the letter:
- Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
- Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA)
- Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT)
- Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA)
- Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI)
- Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ)
- Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC)
- Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ)
- Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY)
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)
- Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN)
- Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL)