- GRANT HINDSLEY/AFP/Getty Images
- Amazon announced a “record-breaking” holiday season with more items ordered than ever before.
- Top sellers in the tech category included Amazon devices like the new Echo Dot, as well as Bose QuietComfort 35.
- Smart home items like smart plugs and voice assistant devices dominated the rest of the list.
Gift-giving used to be more portable, with gadgets like iPods and CD players dominating top selling items.
Fast forward to 2018, and it’s all about the home – the smart home, that is. For Amazon’s top-selling tech items, the list is dominated by smart plugs, voice assistant speakers, and robot vacuum cleaners.
The overall best-selling item was the new Echo Dot, refreshed this fall and now in its third generation. It was both the top-seller overall as well as the best-selling piece of tech on Amazon for the holiday season.
The device was discounted heavily starting in late November. Starting at $50, it was down to $29.99 for most of the holiday season, hitting a low of $24 on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday.
Amazon also says the Bose QuietComfort 35 (series II) Wireless Headphones were a best-selling item. Retailing for $349, they dipped to $299 multiple times throughout November and December, according to Camelcamelcamel.com, a site that tracks prices of goods on Amazon.
Here’s Amazon’s best-selling tech of the holiday season:
- The new Echo Dot (third generation)
- Bose QuietComfort 35 (series II) Wireless Headphones
- Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa remote
- Amazon Smart Plug
- Ring Video Doorbell 2
- TP-Link Kasa Smart Plug Mini Outlet
- iRobot Roomba 690
- Samsung 65″ 4K UHD 8 Series Smart LED TV
- Apple iPad, wi-fi and 32 GB edition in Space Gray
- Wemo Mini Smart Plug
- Blue Yeti USB Microphone in Blackout
- Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera
- HP Sprocket Photo Paper