- Marvel Studios
- It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but as the box office of “Avengers: Endgame” slows, it will be difficult for the movie, which has made $2.6 billion worldwide, to reach the $2.8 billion gross of “Avatar.”
- And it’s practically impossible for “Endgame” to surpass “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” domestically. The latter made $936 million in the US, while “Endgame” has made $779 million.
- But “Endgame” is still a massive hit that broke box-office records at an unprecedented pace, including making $1 billion worldwide in its opening weekend.
- “Endgame” is also the biggest Hollywood movie in China ever, making over $600 million there.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Avengers: Endgame” has shattered plenty of box-office records and become one of the highest-grossing movies of all time. But after a month in theaters, its pace is slowing, and it’s looking as if it could fall short of dethroning the biggest movies ever.
James Cameron’s “Avatar” still sits at the top of the worldwide box office, with $2.79 billion, while “Endgame” is at $2.62 billion. It’s not out of the realm of possibility for “Endgame” to reach “Avatar’s” record number, but as the summer movie season heats up, it will become increasingly difficult.
And it’s practically impossible for “Endgame” to overthrow the domestic champion, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which made a monumental $936 million in the US. “Endgame” is the second-biggest movie domestically, at $779 million. It will make more before its theatrical run is over, but it would need a miracle and then some to top “The Force Awakens.”
If international box office doesn’t work in “Endgame’s” favor this summer, it’s likely to end its time in theaters as the No. 2 movie both globally and domestically.
After adjusting for inflation, “Endgame” faces even greater challenges in the record books: It’s the 22nd-highest-grossing movie domestically, and while it should climb the list before its run is over, it would need to gross an impossible $1.8 billion in the US alone to beat “Gone with the Wind.”
But even with that context, the box-office haul of “Endgame” is still massive, and it reached its impressive numbers at an unprecedented pace.
“Endgame” was the fastest movie to reach $1 billion worldwide (it did so in its opening weekend) and the fastest to hit $2 billion. It broke the domestic opening-weekend record held by “Avengers: Infinity War” with $357 million.
It’s been a huge hit in China too. Marvel has found an audience there in a way that Disney’s other flagship franchise, “Star Wars,” has not. As Business Insider’s Jason Guerrasio pointed out earlier this month, the total box office of the “Star Wars” movies since “The Force Awakens” in 2015 was less in China than what “Endgame” made in a week.
“Endgame” is China’s highest-grossing Hollywood movie of all time and its third-biggest movie ever. (Two Chinese releases, “Wolf Warrior 2” and “The Wandering Earth,” are ahead of it.) It broke China’s record for the biggest opening weekend, with $191 million, and has so far made over $600 million there.
- Read more of Business Insider’s “Avengers: Endgame” box-office coverage:
- The 21 movies that made more money than ‘Avengers: Endgame’ at the US box office – after inflation
- The only 5 movies to ever hit $2 billion at the box office, including ‘Avengers: Endgame’
- 6 box-office records that ‘Avengers: Endgame’ has already broken on its quest to become the biggest movie of all time
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ will have to make billions more at the box office to beat the biggest movie of all time, which came out in 1939
- The 17 movies that made $1 billion at the box office the fastest, including ‘Avengers: Endgame’
- The 8 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies that made over $1 billion at the global box office
- Every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, ranked by how much money they made at the box office opening weekend
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ already broke the record for the biggest box-office opening in China of all time