- Bada Bean Snacks/Instagram
- Our favorite snack of the moment is a surprising one: roasted broad beans packed with protein and fiber.
- Even though I hate cooked broad beans, I love Bada Bean Bada Boom snacks, a fun, crunchy, and flavorful alternative to boring snacks like almonds.
- They taste good on their own or sprinkled over salads and oatmeal, and best of all, they’re healthy and nutritious, containing 100 calories, 7 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat, and 5 to 6 grams of fiber per 1-ounce serving.
When I’m feeling peckish in the middle of the day, I often snack on dried fruit, healthy chips, or a creative treat I’ve never tried. Never would I think about eating beans, much less broad (aka fava) beans.
I actually hate broad beans in their cooked form, but as proven by kale chips and green pea crisps, when you roast or bake a disappointing vegetable (or legume), it can transform into a delicious snack.
After an editor placed a bag of Bada Bean Bada Boom snacks on my desk, I still had my doubts that they would change my mind about the dreaded broad bean, but my skepticism quickly turned into surprised delight when I tried them. They’re crunchy, flavorful, and nutritious (really!) – the trifecta of characteristics you want for the snacks you keep in your backpack, car, or desk drawer.
- Bada Bean/Instagram
Bada Bean comes from the brand Enlightened, and if the name sounds familiar, you’ve probably seen its colorful pints of low-calorie, high-protein ice cream. Bean snacks are an interesting departure from frozen desserts, but the same selling points that made the ice cream so popular are also drawing people to Bada Bean:
- Nutritious: Each 1-ounce serving contains 100 calories, 7 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat, and 5 to 6 grams of fiber. Meanwhile, the same amount of plain almonds has 164 calories, 6 grams of protein, 14 grams of fat, and 3.5 grams of fiber.
- Made with simple ingredients: Bada Bean snacks are simply plain broad beans roasted in sunflower oil and seasoned with various natural ingredients and flavors.
- Flavorful: Delicious flavors include Mesquite BBQ, Zesty Ranch, and Buffalo Wing, which you can buy in individual packs or variety boxes. We personally loved the Ranch.
- Satisfying: Even though they’re simply roasted and not fried, the snacks are very crunchy and fun to eat. Bada Bean does not disappoint in crunch and texture.
- Suitable for most diets: The snacks are gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free. They’re also vegan, kosher, and non-GMO.
With all these points to consider, I’d much rather have a handful of Bada Bean snacks than boring almonds. I like to have fun with all the food I eat, and when my afternoon sustenance can be simultaneously fun and nutritious, I quickly become hooked. They remind me a bit of Corn Nuts, arguably one of the best childhood after-school snacks, but they’re less salty, a little less crunchy, and healthier overall.
The snacks taste great on their own, but you can also get more creative with them by sprinkling them on salads or over oatmeal (there are sweet flavors as well) for added crunch and flavor. However or whenever you enjoy them, you won’t find a more surprisingly delicious snack option than Bada Bean.
- Connie Chen/Business Insider