- There are several rankings of the best places to live in the US.
- Certain cities, like Seattle, Minneapolis, and Charleston, pop up time and time again in the lists, and get consistently high marks in categories like quality of life and cost of living.
- We compiled the cities that appear the most often on rankings of the best places to live.
Ranking the best places to live is a difficult task, and any such list is going to generate debate over who was overrated and who was snubbed.
Comparing several rankings of cities gives us a better picture of which places consistently get high marks.
We looked at several popular rankings of the top US cities to live in, including lists by US News and World Report, 24/7 Wall Street, Money, Niche, Livability, and SmartAsset. Each of the rankings weighed metrics including quality of life, cost of living, availability of jobs, education rates, and safety.
It’s clear to see that across the rankings, certain cities made repeat appearances at the top. Read on to see the best places in the US to live, according to several recent rankings.
- Julia Robinson/Reuters
Austin, Texas, has earned the top spot on US News and World Report‘s ranking of the best places to live in America for the past two years, and earned second place in 2016.
Raleigh, North Carolina
- Sean Pavone/Shutterstock
Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Shutterstock/Susan Montgomery
- Andrew Zarivny/Shutterstock
Denver, Colorado was named one of the best cities in America by US News and World Report for three straight years, appearing in the top three each time and earning the top ranking in 2016.
Charleston, South Carolina
- Charles Knowles/Shutterstock
- Flickr/Richard Hurd
Madison, Wisconsin, has appeared on three consecutive lists of best US cities to live by US News and World Report, as well as lists by SmartAsset, Niche and Livability. The city earned the top spot on the Livability list in 2015.
Carmel, Indiana, appeared on lists of the best cities in America by Niche, 24/7 Wall Street and Money. In 2017, 24/7 Wall Street considered Carmel the best city in America to live in, and Niche ranked it first among small cities in 2018.
- David Lewallen/Flickr
Charlotte, North Carolina
- James Kirkikis/Shutterstock