The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you’ll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- Paper Source/Business Insider
Giving gifts is wonderful and wrapping them up in lovely paper is half the fun, so we’ve rounded up the best wrapping paper and supplies you can buy online.
- We think Target has the best selection of wrapping paper for the most reasonable price, but we also love the gift wrap from the Paper Source, Hallmark, The Container Store, World Market, and Brown Kraft Paper.
Gift giving takes place throughout the entire year to mark holidays and special occasions alike. To many people, one of the best parts of buying gifts is wrapping them up in gorgeous wrapping paper with ribbons, bows, and fancy tags.
Gift wrap adds a layer of beauty and anticipation to every gift, and let’s face it, tearing through the paper to find the treasure inside is simply delightful.
We love wrapping gifts as much as we love giving them, so we’ve rounded up the best wrapping paper and wrapping supplies you can buy.
Whether you want wrapping paper, gift bags, gift boxes, or the accessories that go on top of wrapping paper, we have a pick for you. We’ve also included the tape and scissors you’ll need to wrap all those presents.
Also, if you’re doing holiday gift shopping, you can check out all of our 2018 gift guides on Insider Picks.
Here is the best wrapping paper and wrapping supplies:
- Best wrapping paper overall: Target
- Best high-end wrapping paper: Paper Source
- Best affordable wrapping paper bundles: Hallmark
- Best classy wrapping paper: The Container Store
- Best off-beat wrapping paper: World Market
- Best recycled wrapping paper: Brown Kraft Paper
- Best scissors: Fiskars Scissors
- Best utility knife: Stanley Classic Utility Knife
- Best tape for wrapping gifts: Scotch Magic Tape
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks. Also, if you’re doing holiday gift shopping, you can check out all of our 2018 gift guides on Insider Picks.
The best wrapping paper overall
Why you’ll love it: Target has tons of wrapping paper, gift bags, gift boxes, tags, and other wrapping supplies in fun patterns for a great price.
If you want a huge selection of wrapping paper and wrapping supplies to choose from, check out Target. No matter what time of year you need to wrap a gift, Target has a wrapping paper for your needs. Its holiday wrapping shop is incredible, too. You can find just about any pattern you want from fun, silly patterns to classic designs and gift wrap for kids.
You can refine results on Target’s website by holiday and occasion, as well as brand to quickly find the best options for your needs. You can even get personalized wrapping paper from Wondershop.
Well-known brands like Papyrus, Minted, American Greetings, Hallmark, and so on sell wrapping paper and supplies at Target, too.
In addition to wrapping paper, you’ll find tons of gift bags, gift boxes, tags, bows, ribbons, and other wrapping supplies.
Pros: Huge selection, fun patterns, classic designs, wrapping supplies of all kinds, options for other holidays and events
Cons: Not all are eco-friendly
The best high-end wrapping paper
- Paper Source
Why you’ll love it: Paper Source has everything you need to wrap a gift, including gorgeous wrapping paper, gift bags, gift boxes, tissue paper, and cards galore.
If you care about the presentation of your gifts, you’ll love the Paper Source’s wide selection of artful wrapping paper and wrapping supplies. You can find everything from classic holiday prints and fun playful designs, to gift wrap that will work for any season.
The company also makes gift boxes and gift bags, so if you hate wrapping presents, you don’t actually have to wrap them at all. You’ll also find lovely tissue paper, cards, and other decorating supplies like tags, bows, and ribbons.
You don’t have to worry about the paper ripping mid-wrap or the tissue paper disintegrating as you remove it from the package – Everything from Paper Source is of the highest quality.
If you’re worried about the environment and you care where your gift wrap comes from, you can feel pretty good about shopping at Paper Source. The company uses 30% recycled paper in its solid color papers, partners with sustainable forestry mills, uses recycled materials to make many of its cards, avoids chlorine, recycles ink and all paper scraps, and other eco-friendly practices.
The prices are expensive, though. Wrapping paper ranges in price from $2 to $25, and the most expensive paper is hand painted in the US, so it’s well worth the price. The gift wrap costs about $10, but you only get two sheets.
Gift boxes cost anywhere from $2 to $15 and they come in tons of fun colors and patterns. Gift bags start at $2 and go up to $16. The tissue paper, ribbons, bows, and tags all cost reasonable prices, though.
Pros: Great selection of designs; gift wrap, bags, boxes, tags, ribbons, etc. are all sold here; well made; eco-friendly practices
The best affordable wrapping paper bundles
Why you’ll love it: Hallmark is a famous card company that makes affordable wrapping paper bundles that come with everything you need to wrap a gift, including the paper, tags, ribbons, gift bags, and more.
If you have a lot of gifts to wrap, you may not want to spend a lot of money on expensive wrapping paper. Hallmark has very affordable gift wrap bundles that come with everything you need to wrap presents, including the wrapping paper, gift bags, and tags. You can also get the piece separately for good prices.
Hallmark’s gift wrap comes in tons of colors, patterns, and styles. You can find fun, festive snowmen beside classic, stately stripes and solid colors. Snoopy and other characters also pop up on certain gift bags in Hallmark’s collection.
Single rolls of wrapping paper cost $4 to $10, and a bundle with 3 rolls of wrapping paper, 10 gift bags, and 32 gift tag stickers costs just $20 to $30. The bundle is a fantastic deal for people on a budget with a great deal of wrapping ahead of them.
If you’re worried that affordable prices also means bad environmental practices, don’t be – Hallmark says its “gifting supplies are made with paper from well-managed forests,” and “wrapping paper is made in the USA with European paper.” It may not be recycled paper, but at least it comes from a relatively responsible source.
Pros: Affordable, bundles are a great deal, fun prints, classic designs, good variety, well made, accessories available
Cons: Not as eco-friendly as some options
The best classic wrapping paper
- The Container Store
Why you’ll love it: The Container Store has a nice selection of classic wrapping paper designs for a decent price that’s not super expensive.
You won’t find cheesy or funny wrapping paper at The Container Store, but you will find classic, simple designs on the store’s wrapping paper, gift bags, gift boxes, and tags. The prices are fairly reasonable, though not dirt cheap, but the quality is unquestionable.
The Container Store also makes it easy to have your wrapping paper match your gift bags, boxes, tags, ribbons, and bows. When you click on any wrapping paper, the store also shows you other related gift wrapping supplies that match the patterns and color schemes.
Pros: Classic designs, good selection of wrapping paper, gift bags and boxes, nice tags and bows
Cons: Can be pricey, not as eco-friendly as some
The best off-beat wrapping paper
- World Market
Why you’ll love it: If you want fun, off-beat wrapping paper and supplies with an international feel, World Market has you covered.
After a while, you might get sick of reindeer, snowmen, Santas, candy cane stripes, and other typical patterns. If you’ve reached that point and you want to try something new, World Market has some unique wrapping papers that have Scandinavian gnomes, cactus plants, llamas, paisley patterns, and more.
You can, of course, find Santa, reindeer, gingerbread men, and other classic Christmas-themed designs if you want them, and even those have a unique look. In addition to wrapping paper, you’ll also find gift bags, tags, and other wrapping supplies.
Everything is fairly reasonably priced, too. You can get three rolls of wrapping paper for $10, some single rolls for $5, and gift bags for $3 or $5.
Pros: Fun patterns, international flair, decent prices, unique selection, lots of choices
Cons: Not as eco-friendly as some
The best eco-friendly wrapping paper
Why you’ll love it: Brown Kraft Paper is the ultimate eco-friendly choice for wrapping paper because it’s made from 100% recycled paper.
If the thought of thousands upon thousands of trees dying for the sake of producing wrapping paper that most people just discard and don’t recycle happens to break your heart, consider an eco-friendly alternative: 100% recycled Brown Kraft Paper.
Yes, it’s brown and plain, but this Kraft paper is sturdy, affordable, eco-friendly, and definitely not see-through like cheap gift wrap often is, so it’s perfect for wrapping presents. It will also last you a long time and is multi-purpose. Need to pack a box full so objects inside don’t bounce around? Brown paper is the answer.
If you’re the artsy type, you can also customize the brown paper by drawing designs on it, layering other colored papers, or by adding cute ribbons and string.
Pros: 100% recycled paper, you get a lot for $15, sturdy paper won’t rip, you can personalize it
Cons: It’s only brown and therefore plain
The best scissors and utility knife for gift wrapping
- Fiskars/Stanley/Business Insder
Why you’ll love them: Fiskars’ scissors and Stanley’s utility knife are the best cutting tools you can buy for wrapping gifts.
When it comes to wrapping gifts, you need good scissors and a sharp utility knife at hand. Fiskars makes the best scissors you can buy for just about any task, and its everyday scissors are a great buy. You can use them for cutting wrapping paper easily, thanks to their soft grip handle and sharp blades.
Stanley’s Utility Knife cuts perfect straight lines easily and produces clean cuts. The blade retracts for safety, but it is sharp, so keep it away from young kids.
Pros: Both cut well, utility knife is great for clean cuts, high quality, affordable, multiple uses
The best tape for gift wrapping
- Scotch Tape
Why you’ll love it: Scotch Magic Tape is strong, cuts well, and blends right into wrapping paper as you flatten it out.
No gift wrapping station is complete without Scotch Magic Tape. The tape goes on clear and matte, so it blends right into your wrapping paper. It’s a strong tape and it cuts well.
If you’ve ever tried to buy cheap tape from another brand and been disappointed, you know why we’re recommending Scotch tape here. It’s simply the best for wrapping gifts.
Besides, this 6-pack of Scotch tape is very affordable and it will last you through several gift-wrapping seasons.
Pros: 6-pack, good price, clear tape, matte finish, blends in, cuts well, strong tape
Check out our guide to the best Christmas and holiday cards you can buy
- Simply to Impress
Christmas and holiday cards are a great way to spread the love to your family and friends this holiday season, so we’ve rounded up the best places to buy cards online.
We’ve made sure every pick in our guide has great options for Christmas, Hanukkah, and general wintry holiday tidings. We also looked at desirable criteria like designs, customization options, print quality, paper quality, cost, ease of ordering, speed, and extra services. All the cards we picked can be ordered online and sent via good old-fashioned snail mail.
Here are the best Christmas cards and holiday cards:
- Best holiday cards overall: Simply to Impress
- Best full-service cards: Minted
- Best budget holiday cards: Amazon Prints
- Best unique holiday cards: Etsy
- Best photo quality custom cards: Artifact Uprising
Check out our Christmas decorating guides
- Land’s End
Whether you’re young or old, there’s something magical about the sight of an overflowing Christmas stocking awaiting you on Christmas morning.
There are Christmas stockings for just about any theme or style, and we’ve rounded up 13 that we think are the best.
Here are the best Christmas stockings you can buy:
- Best Christmas stocking overall: Lands’ End Needlepoint Christmas Stocking
- Best vintage-style Christmas stocking: Quilted Christmas Stockings
- Best Christmas stocking with bling: Gilded Christmas Stocking
- Best Christmas stocking for dogs: Plaid Dog Bone Paw Stocking
- Best Hanukkah stocking: Velvet Happy Hanukkah Stocking
- Best Christmas stockings for NFL fans: NFL-Team Christmas Stocking
- Best elegant Christmas stocking: Jeweled Holiday Christmas Stocking
- Best knit Christmas stocking: Knitted Christmas Stocking
- Best toddler Christmas stocking: North Pole Reindeer Stocking
- Best set of Christmas stockings: Imperial Home Classic Christmas Stockings
- Best contemporary Christmas stocking: Boho Gray Shag Holiday Stocking
- Best trendy Christmas stocking: Peace Llama Knit Holiday Stocking
- Best unique Christmas stocking: Cactus Felted Wool Holiday Stocking
A beautifully decorated home is part of the wonder of the holiday season. We’ve rounded up the best decorating essentials for your home to make it easier for you.
That’s why we’ve gathered up the top suggestions for a wide range of Christmas décor. Whether you go all-out decorating for the holidays, or just stick with a tree covered with a few glass balls, we’ve got the best of the best for your holiday home.
Here are the best Christmas decorations you can buy:
- Best faux tree: National Tree Company’s Douglas Fir
- Best tree stand: Krinner Tree Genie Christmas Tree Stand
- Best ornaments: Shop all ornaments at Target
- Best tree topper: Christmas Snowman Tree Hugger
- Best tree skirt: Valery Madelyn Traditional Holly Leaves Tree Skirt
- Best string lights: GE Energy Smart Colorite LED Mini Light Set
- Best wreath for your front door: Woodland Eucalyptus Wreath
- Best holiday inflatable: Inflatable Snow Family
- Best stockings: Needlepoint Stockings from L.L. Bean
- Best garland: Home Accents Holiday Pre-Lit Plaza Garland
- Best advent calendar: Byer’s Choice Christmas Tree Advent Calendar
- Best quirky decoration: Christmas Incandescent Tinsel Llama
Holiday decorations bring feelings of warmth and cheer even in the darkest and coldest days of the year. Testing, setting up, and connecting Christmas lights can be anything but a joyful experience, though.
To that end, this year I’ve worked to assemble a buying guide filled primarily with holiday lights that not only look great, but that also make your life easier.
Here are the best Christmas lights you can buy:
- Best Christmas lights overall: KooPower Waterproof Battery Fairy Lights
- Best Christmas lights: Good Tidings Light Ceramic Multi-Colored Holiday Lights
- Best light projector: TOFU Laser Projector Light
- Best solar Christmas lights: VMANOO Solar Powered String Lights
- Best mini Christmas lights: Brizled LED Mini String Christmas Lights
- Best permanent Christmas lights: Everlights Starter Kit
Artificial Christmas trees have come a long way since the ’80s, and now they look much more realistic and festive during the holiday season.
After researching scores of artificial trees that are available from $15 to $1,500 and assessing them for issues like cost, convenience, beauty, and realism, we’ve whittled it down to the five best artificial Christmas trees you can buy this holiday season.
Here are the best artificial Christmas trees you can buy:
- Best artificial Christmas tree overall: Balsam Hill Classic Blue Spruce
- Best for big rooms: Pre-lit 12-foot Dunhill Fir Tree by National Tree
- Best for small spaces: Home Heritage 7-foot Pre-Lit Artificial Half Christmas Tree
- Best budget tree: Best Choice Products 6-foot Artificial Christmas Tree
- Best non-traditional tree: Treetopia Silver Shadow Ombre Artificial Christmas Tree
Tree skirts add a dash of color and style to your holiday decor while hiding away that unsightly tree stand and all the Christmas light cords.
Here are the best tree skirts you can buy:
- Best tree skirt overall: Primode Holiday Images 50-Inch Tree Skirt
- Best traditional tree skirt: Valery Madelyn 48-inch Tree Skirt
- Best mini tree skirt: VHC Brands Burlap Ruffled Mini Tree Skirt
- Best affordable tree skirt: SANNO Snowflake Rustic Beige Tree Skirt
- Best large tree skirt: Kurt Adler Embroidered and Pleated 60-Inch Tree Skirt
- Best lighted tree skirt: Teresa’s Collection Woodland Reindeer Christmas Tree Skirt
The best Christmas tree stands are designed to last for many decades, have a stable base that holds plenty of water, are easy to set up, and store easily after the holidays are over. The Krinner Tree Genie Christmas Tree Stand is the best one you can buy, thanks to its innovative design.
You should also consider the Jack-Post Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand, the National Tree Folding Tree Stand, the Good Tidings Cinco Tabletop Christmas Tree Stand, and the Cinco C Express Tree Stand.