- Elliott Brown/Flickr (CC)
A theatre in Birmingham, England was evacuated on Tuesday night following an explosion.
West Midlands Police said that the incident, at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre (also known as the Birmingham Rep) venue, was believed to have been caused by a “technical fault.”
Roads have been closed around the building, and photos posted to social media show police cordons in place. No casualties have been reported. The West Midlands Fire service are also on the scene.
“All emergency services are currently at Birmingham’s Repertory Theatre, Broad St following reports of an explosion. Initial indications are that this was a technical fault in a staff only area. No casualties are reported. Everyone has been evacuated are are being kept safe,” the West Midlands Police tweeted.
“All businesses on Birmingham’s Broad Street are open as usual following an explosion in the basement of [Birmingham Rep]. Looks as though this was a technical fault. No reports of casualties. All theatre goers are being looked after at another venue. Diversions in place.”
It added: “Lots of shocked and scared people but things could’ve been worse. A brilliant response from our extraordinarily brave officers, firefighters from [West Midlands Fire service] and medics from [Westmidlands Ambulance Service] who ran towards the site to help not knowing this was just a fault.”
— Westside BID (@westsidebid) February 13, 2018
Evacuated from @BirminghamRep after a loud bang was heard – hopefully nothing serious (and during an excellent production of Brief Encounter as well)
— Thomas Lancaster (@DrLancaster) February 13, 2018
This story is developing…