- Camila Cabello appeared on NBC’s “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Thursday and spoke about stealing a pencil from Kensington Palace in October while there for a Teen Heroes event.
- The singer, who was dared by BBC Radio 1 host Greg James to take the item, said that it has since gone missing.
- “There is a royal pencil out there somewhere on this Earth and we don’t know where it is,” she said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“It was a joke,” Cabello, who was dared by BBC Radio 1 host Greg James to nab the item, said during an appearance on NBC’s “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Thursday. “I was at the royal palace. I’m just a small-town girl. I’ve never been to places like that.”
Fallon went on to show her the headline from a BBC News article that read, “Camila Cabello stole a pencil from Prince William and ‘it could be worth £1000s,'” and the “Señorita” singer said it was “terrifying to wake up to.”
Cabello, who visited the palace in October for a Teen Heroes event, said that it was her first time seeing a “royal pencil” and “they smell different.” She also considered stealing a bar of soap or another toiletry as “a little souvenir to bring back home to grandma.”
The 22-year-old singer and the late-night host also joked about the building not containing a gift shop and she said, “They shouldn’t just leave their pencils out in the open like that.”
Despite her recent confession about the writing utensil, Cabello said that she’s not sure where the pencil ended up.
“There is a royal pencil out there somewhere on this Earth and we don’t know where it is,” she told Fallon.
“It’s yellow and it has a tip and you can write with it and it’s got some royal magical energy to it that only people with the seventh sense can see,” Cabello joked.
While participating in an interview for BBC Radio 1, Cabello recalled stealing the item shortly before meeting Prince William and Kate Middleton because James “triple doggy dared” her.
“You can’t not do a triple doggy dare,” she said. “If there’s anything I’ve learned in my life, it’s that. So I did it.”
The “Romance” singer said that James told the palace staff about what she did and rather than return the pencil, Cabello hid it in her mom’s purse.
“I’m sorry, William, and I’m sorry, Kate. Honestly, I’m just so happy to get it off my chest now because I haven’t been able to sleep for the past three weeks.”
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 26, 2019
Watch the video below (Cabello talks about the pencil at 2:25).
- Read more:
- The royal pencil Camila Cabello stole from Kensington Palace could be worth thousands, according to an antique expert
- Camila Cabello blamed paparazzi for her public displays of affection with Shawn Mendes: ‘Might as well just make out on Instagram’
- Taylor Swift experienced a roller coaster of emotions during Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello’s steamy AMAs performance