- David Buchan/Getty Images and Jean Catuffe/GC Images
- Going gray is a natural part of life – even for your favorite celebrities.
- While many people, famous or not, opt to dye their hair, these 15 celebs prove that going gray can look amazing.
- Pierce Brosnan, for example, has recently embraced his silver fox status.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
For some, finding that first gray hair can trigger mild existential dread, but these famous figures might have you embracing the new hue.
These before and after transformations might convince you to put down the hair dye for good.
Jamie Lee Curtis has slowly been embracing her natural hair, but she debuted an icy white shade at the 2019 Golden Globes.
- SGranitz/WireImage and Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Moet & Chandon
For the first few decades of her career, Curtis rocked a reddish-brown hue. But starting in the 2000s, she began embracing her graying hair, and has kept it that way.
“The epiphany came when I was sitting in a hair salon thinking, ‘What the eff am I doing putting a chemical on my head that burns?’,” she told Everyday Health.
It’s almost impossible to remember a time before George Clooney had gray hair.
- S. Granitz/WireImage and Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
Clooney is the prototypical silver fox – handsome, charming, and rocking his natural hair color. In 2014, the Daily Mail reported that he was voted the No. 1 “Man Aging Gracefully” poll.
Pierce Brosnan has been living the salt and pepper life for a few years.
- David Buchan/Getty Images and Jean Catuffe/GC Images
It’s almost impossible to believe that Rita Moreno is almost 90 — and dare we say she looks better with gray hair than black.
- Ron Galella, Ltd./Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images and Gary Gershoff/Getty Images
The EGOT winner says she’s lucky she doesn’t “look like an old wallet” after all the time she spent in the sun in her youth. “I used to sit in the sun until I looked like a piece of bacon,” Moreno told People.
It’s no surprise that President Obama has gone gray — the job is stressful — but he’s rocking it.
- Tim Boyle/Getty Images andJOHN MACDOUGALL/AFP/Getty Images
The presidency definitely ages you – even Obama himself has joked about his new hair color. We think it makes him look even more sophisticated.
Steve Carell’s gray hair had fans everywhere pleasantly surprised.
- Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images and Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images
He definitely doesn’t look like Michael Scott anymore. When Carell debuted this look back in 2017, the internet immediately took notice and declared him a hottie.
Jeff Goldblum has completely embraced his new professor aesthetic, complete with glasses and silver hair.
- Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage and David M. Benett/Dave Benett/WireImage via Getty Images
Goldblum’s luscious black hair was a part of his identity for years, but he’s embracing a new look now.
“My hair used to be dark, and now it’s salt-and-pepper. I like the way it looks. Luckily it’s still mostly there, so this is easy for me to say, but I would hope that if I lose my hair, I’ll just roll with it,” he told GQ. “When you try to be youthful, it only makes you look older,” he continued.
Watching Jon Stewart’s hair go from dark brown to salt and pepper to gray over the course of “The Daily Show” occupied us for 16 years.
- Bob Riha Jr/WireImage and Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic via Getty Images
To watch this transition in high-speed, look no further than this supercut done by YouTuber Billy Chasen, who assembled footage from every single episode of “The Daily Show” and smashed it together in honor of the host’s final episodes in 2015.
Anderson Cooper is one of the most famous silver foxes on TV.
- Steve Fenn /ABC via Getty Images and Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Sundance Film Festival
Cooper admitted on “Live with Kelly and Ryan” that he’s not totally cool with his white hair, going so far as to say “I don’t really like my gray hair. I wish I still had brown hair. It’s not my thing.”
He even compared himself to a White Walker from “Game of Thrones,” according to People.
We beg to differ, Mr. Cooper.
Helen Mirren recently transitioned from blonde to white.
- Mike Windle/Getty Images for The Weinstein Company and Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
As recently as 2015, Mirren was dyeing her own hair a beige shade of blonde. For the past couple of years though, she started transitioning from blonde to a bright white.
However, she’s not totally done with experimenting – she debuted a new pink ‘do at the Cannes Film Festival in May.
Dermot Mulroney showcased his new hair color in his show “Homecoming.”
- Noel Vasquez/Getty Images for Extra and Allen Berezovsky/WireImage
Mulroney has been a part of our lives since the ’80s, but is most famous for his role in 1997’s “My Best Friend’s Wedding” alongside Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, and Rupert Everett. He reunited with Roberts in 2013 for “August: Osage County,” and then again in 2018 in “Homecoming.”
Nichelle Nichols has been in the spotlight for almost six decades, and she looks good with both black and silver hair.
- Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage and Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage via Getty Images
Nichols, best known for her role as Uhura in “Star Trek,” was 34 years old when the sci-fi show premiered in 1966. She became a huge role model for people of color in both STEM and entertainment, and was even asked by NASA to recruit women and minorities.
Matt LeBlanc was dyeing his hair black while he was still on “Friends.”
- Jean-Paul Aussenard/WireImage and Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images
Apparently, LeBlanc was going gray as early as the second season of “Friends,” in which he played lovable dummy Joey Tribbiani. He shared on “The Late Late Show with James Corden” that he even attempted to dye it himself, but he accidentally dyed his ears black too.
Patrick Dempsey’s hair was a big part of his character on “Grey’s Anatomy.”
- Lalo Yasky/WireImage and Michael Tullberg/Getty Images
In fact, one might have called his hair dreamy. We think that the salt and pepper suits him, especially with the silver streak in front.
Acting legend Glenn Close slays both blonde and gray hair.
- Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for HFA and Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images for Clase Azul
Close is still turning in Oscar-worthy performances decades into her career – just look at “The Wife” – and is also breaking boundaries when it comes to Hollywood, sex, and aging.
“I think people don’t realize that you keep your sexuality up until you die,” she told the Guardian, “I think it’s good for kids to see it.”
- Read more:
- The reason people go gray in their 20s, according to a dermatologist
- Salma Hayek posted a photo showing off her gray hair, and said she is ‘proud’ of not dyeing it
- The ’10-Year Challenge’ has taken over social media, but these 30 celebs don’t seem to have aged at all
- 2 forms of exercise are the best way to stave off the effects of aging. Here’s how to incorporate them into your life.