- Colorado Bureau of Investigation/Getty
- In a new interview with investigators, convicted murderer Chris Watts said he has a newfound relationship with God.
- Watts said he never read the Bible before entering prison, but has now read it cover to cover.
- “I never knew I could have a relationship with God like I do now … it’s like the amazing grace with all of this,” he said, according to a transcript from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.
- The 33-year-old Colorado man is serving three consecutive life sentences for the murders of his pregnant wife and two young daughters.
Chris Watts said he’s found God since strangling his pregnant wife and smothering his two daughters in a rage this past August.
In a new interview with investigators at the federal prison where he is serving his three consecutive life sentences, the 33-year-old Colorado man delved into his newfound Christian faith.
Watts said he never read the Bible before entering prison, but has now read it cover to cover, according to audio and a transcript of the interview INSIDER obtained from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation on Thursday.
He revealed that he keeps pictures of his murdered wife and kids in his cell, and reads scripture to them. He also said he copies passages out to send to his parents every day. Watts added that his uncle and aunt, who are missionaries, have been amazed at how mature he has become since reading the Bible.
- Shanann Watts/Facebook
“I never knew I could have a relationship with God like I do now … it’s like the amazing grace with all of this, but I just wish nobody had to pay any kind of price for this,” he said.
Committing himself to God has also stopped him from committing suicide, he said.
While he was being held at the Weld County Jail, he said fellow inmates would yell ways he could kill himself in his cell, and for awhile he said, “I was listening to them.”
He told investigators he prayed every day to be transferred out of the state, a wish that was fulfilled when he was moved in December to a federal prison in Wisconsin (his current location was redacted from the records released this week, but has been widely reported).
“I just feel like God moved me here for a reason. Hopefully I can help people that way,” he said.
Despite his voracious reading of the Bible, Watts said he’s only been to one church service at his new prison. But he said the service left him with an important lesson.
“There was this one church service – the only one I’ve gone to in here – and [the pastor] said you’re not defined by one moment in your life. And I think people are defining me by one moment in my life. They don’t know what happened before and what can happen later,” he said.
He said he realized that what other people think about him doesn’t matter anymore.
“I know I shouldn’t really, you know, take to heart what other people think about me so much,” he told investigators. “It’s just a matter of what God thinks about me, what his opinion is, not anybody else’s.”
Watts also gave never-before-heard details about the murders of his pregnant wife and 4- and 3-year-old daughters. While his November plea deal assumed guilt for all three murders, he only ever admitted to investigators to killing Shanann, alleging he strangled her after she smothered the girls.
In his new interview, he admitted to killing all three and told investigators exactly how it played out, after an early morning argument with Shanann in which he said she (correctly) accused him of cheating on her.
- Read more about the Chris Watts case on INSIDER:
- Friends of slain Colorado pregnant woman say she was worried her husband was cheating and was thinking about leaving him
- In the days before he killed his wife and 2 kids, Chris Watts was looking up the price of an Audi and ‘marrying your mistress’
- Mistress of Chris Watts, the man accused of murdering his pregnant wife and 2 daughters, speaks out about their affair
- Text messages and phone records show pregnant Colorado woman murdered by her husband told friends before her death that he had ‘changed’ and didn’t want another baby