- REUTERS/Henry Romero/File Photo
- Lucero Guadalupe Sánchez López, 29, testified against Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman on Thursday as part of his federal trial.
- The former legislator in Mexico told the court about a time she and Guzman escaped Mexican officials through a secret bathtub tunnel.
- The bathtub opened with a hydraulic piston, and the couple ran through it when officials were knocking at their door.
- Guzman was naked at the time, López testified.
Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s mistress gave a stunning account of the time she and the drug lord escaped from Mexican Marines through a secret bathtub tunnel.
Lucero Guadalupe Sánchez López, 29, took the stand in a Brooklyn courtroom during Guzman’s federal trial on Thursday and told the jury about her time as Guzman’s mistress.
The former legislator in Mexico detailed a 2014 incident in which she and Guzman fled Mexican forces through a secret tunnel under a pop-up bathtub.
On the night of the incident, López, who was 21 when she met Guzman in 2010, was having a meal with the drug lord when he learned his cousin had died, according to Vice reporter Keegan Hamilton.
El Chapo mistress Lucero Guadalupe Sánchez López flips on him in court, exposes secrets of the drug cartel operation
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) January 17, 2019
They moved from house to house, and ended up at a place she had never been before.
The home had TV screens by an outdoor pool that acted like surveillance cameras so Guzman could see what was going on outside the house.
Around 4 a.m., López was woken up to thumping and yelling, and saw Mexican Marines trying to break down the door, according to her testimony.
Guzman, who was naked at the time, brought her into the bathroom, and López recalled: “He said, ‘Love, love, come in here.’ There was like a lid on the bathtub that came up. I was scared. I was like, ‘Do I have to go in there?’ It was very dark.”
The bathtub opened with a hydraulic piston, Hamilton reported, and wooden steps led to “complete darkness.”
Once inside the tunnel, the couple, and everyone with them, took off running – for about an hour.
López was clothed at the time, and said the tunnel was hot, humid and led to a sewer system for Culiacán, a city in the state of Sinaloa. She could feel water running up her legs.
Guzman’s former mistress testified in hopes of getting a break on her own prison sentence – she was arrested in San Diego in 2017 on suspicion of drug trafficking and laundering money for Guzman’s Sinaloa Cartel, according to the New York Daily News.
She pleaded guilty in October and is cooperating with prosecutors.
Guzman, who is married toEmma Coronel Aispuro,pleaded not guilty to drug trafficking charges connected to claims that he built a multibillion-dollar fortune by smuggling cocaine and other drugs across the Mexico-US border.
He faces 17 counts for alleged links to drug trafficking in the US and Mexico.
After years on the run, Guzman was extradited to the United States last year and was held in solitary confinement in a high-security prison as he awaited trial, according to the Associated Press.
- Read more:
- The Sinaloa cartel wanted to smuggle 100 tons of cocaine on an oil tanker – one of many shocking allegations from the son of one of the cartel’s top leaders
- El Chapo put spyware on his wife’s and mistress’s phones, and the US used it to spy on him
- 4 big takeaways from Sinaloa cartel chief ‘El Chapo’ Guzman’s secretive US trial
- El Chapo’s beauty queen wife says the drug lord is a ‘simple’ and ‘normal’ guy who the media made ‘too famous’