- Steve Granitz/WireImage
- “Game of Thrones” actor Kit Harington revealed during a press conference after the 2019 Emmys that he still hadn’t seen the final season of the hit HBO show.
- When asked about the controversy surrounding the show’s last season – especially the finale – Harington shared that he still hadn’t watched those episodes.
- “That’s how I dealt with that controversy. I haven’t seen the final season,” he said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Game of Thrones” star Kit Harington revealed that he still hasn’t seen the final season of the hit HBO show during a press conference following Sunday night’s Emmy Awards.
Harington, speaking to reporters backstage at LA’s Microsoft Theater after “Game of Thrones” won the award for outstanding drama series, responded to a question about the effect the final season’s controversy had on the cast and crew.
“There was a lot of controversy about the ending, and I’m wondering how you reacted to that – especially regarding, of course, the Dragon Queen,” the reporter asked, referencing the show’s divisive finale.
While Emilia Clarke, who played the dragon queen Daenerys, ducked out of sight, Harington stepped up to the microphone.
“Controversy? I still haven’t seen the show,” Harington responded. “So that’s how I dealt with that controversy. I haven’t seen the final season.”
The actor went on to praise the dedication the cast and crew had to the show.
“I know what it took to shoot it, and it was hard, and everyone put all of their love and effort into it,” Harington continued. “I think for us, we knew what we were doing was right, story-wise, and we knew that it was right for the characters because we’d lived with them for 10 years. So the controversy, for us, didn’t really affect us. But thank you for the question.”
It’s no secret the finale of “Game of Thrones” left fans and critics divided. Not only were there intense reactions to Daenerys Targaryen’s descent into madness, but there was also significant fallout following Bran Stark’s ascension to the Iron Throne, especially given his new identity as the Three-Eyed Raven.
“Game of Thrones” was nominated for numerous Emmy awards, including best lead actor in a drama series for Harington, but only ended up winning best drama series, despite the controversy that plagued the show in its final season.
Watch the footage from the “Game of Thrones” cast in the press room:
- Read more:
- People are furious at who ‘won’ the throne on the shocking series finale of ‘Game of Thrones’
- The final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ divided critics and fans. Here’s why so many of them were disappointed with each twist.
- Kit Harington said anyone who hated the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ could ‘go f— themselves’
- Emilia Clarke was convinced Beyoncé would hate her after the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’