- Axelle / Bauer-Griffin / FilmMagic
- George Clooney will not be the godfather of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal baby.
- The actor said he had “enough s— to deal with” already caring for his twins in an interview with Australia’s Who magazine.
- The Clooneys and the Sussexes are close friends – George and his wife Amal attended Harry and Meghan’s royal wedding in May last year.
- A few months later, the foursome reportedly holidayed together at the Clooneys’ luxurious Lake Como villa in Italy.
The Clooneys and the Sussexes are pretty tight.
Last year George and his wife, international human rights lawyer Amal, attended the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
A few months later the foursome reportedly holidayed together at the Clooneys’ luxurious Lake Como villa in Italy.
It came as little surprise then when insiders told the press that Clooney could be a shoo-in to be the godfather of the Sussexes’ royal baby, which is due some time in April.
“I’m all for it [Clooney as godfather]. He’d make a wonderful just about anything – he’s a good guy,” Clooney’s cousin Ben Breslin said in an interview with the Daily Mail.
However, Clooney has now debunked the rumours of his godfathership in an interview with Australia’s Who magazine.
“Oh yes, I’ll be the godfather of the royals apparently,” he told reporters before laughing and confirming, “No!”
The actor added, “I’m the father of twins, I have enough s— to deal with – literally!”
In the same interview, Clooney came to the defence of Meghan Markle, saying that she was being vilified in the same way that Princess Diana was.
“I do want to say, they’re just chasing Meghan Markle everywhere, she’s been pursued and vilified,” he said.
“She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she has been pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that Diana was and it’s history repeating itself.
“We’ve seen how that ends. I can’t tell you how frustrating that is, just seeing them broadcast a letter from a daughter to a father, she’s getting a raw deal there and I think it’s irresponsible and I’m surprised by that.”