- Google’s upcoming Pixel 4 is rumored to come with a type of screen that can display smoother animations than other phones while you’re navigating around the Android operating system or using apps.
- The Pixel 4’s screen is said to support a 90Hz refresh rate, which is to say it can display animations up to 90 frames per second compared to the 60Hz/60 frames-per-second screens on Apple and Samsung phones.
- The benefits are more aesthetic than they are functional, but a smoother screen has a notable impact on how you perceive the phone compared to others.
- The OnePlus 7 Pro has a 90Hz screen, and it feels more advanced and more premium than either Apple’s iPhone XS or Samsung’s Galaxy S10 phones.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The screen on Google’s upcoming Pixel 4 smartphones will be smoother than those on Samsung’s and Apple’s phones – and most other phones, for that matter – according to a recent rumor posted by 9to5Google.
That’s not to say the screen’s glass itself will feel smoother to the touch. Rather, the animations while you’re swiping around the Android operating system and apps will look smoother and faster.
The Pixel 4 is said to come with a screen with a 90Hz refresh rate. That means it can display the Android operating system and apps at up to 90 frames per second. Meanwhile, Apple’s iPhone and even Samsung’s latest Galaxy Note 10 have 60Hz displays that can display animations up to 60 frames per second.
A smoother screen, like the supposed 90Hz screen on the Google Pixel 4, doesn’t offer a lot of functional benefits. But the smoother and faster animations while you’re using your phone do give off the impression that it’s more powerful and more premium than other phones.
So far, the OnePlus 7 Pro and the ROG phones from Asus have high refresh rate screens. Having used the OnePlus 7 Pro with a 90Hz screen, there’s a noticeable difference. I’m currently using the Pixel 3 XL, but whenever I return to the OnePlus 7 Pro to check something out, I get the sense that it’s far more premium and advanced than the Pixel 3 XL.