- Google settled a class-action lawsuit regarding faulty microphones on its Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones that were released in 2016.
- The company agreed to pay $7.25 million in the settlement. Pixel users can claim up to $500, depending on their experience with the faulty microphones and Pixel devices.
- The settlement only applies to Pixel smartphones that were manufactured before January 4, 2017.
- The deadline to submit a claim is October 7, 2019.
- You’ll find below where you can start filing a claim.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Google agreed to pay Pixel owners who experienced microphone issues with their Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones up to $500 in a settlement to a class-action lawsuit back in May, and Pixel owners can now start filing their claims.
You don’t have to have had experienced any issues with the microphone in your Pixel to file a claim.
Google denies the allegations that microphones in the original Pixel devices were faulty, but it agreed to pay $7.25 million to settle the case, according to the settlement website.
Before anyone files a claim, they should know that the settlement only applies to Pixel devices that were manufactured before January 4, 2017. If you still have the box your Pixel came in, you might be able to see when your Pixel was manufactured. If you don’t have the box, you can try contacting Google or your carrier.
To make a claim, head to the settlement website and click the orange “File a claim” button on the top-right corner of the page and follow the instructions. The deadline to submit a claim is October 7, 2019.
- Business Insider
There are different payouts for Pixel owners depending on their experience, according to ClassLawGroup.com:
- $20 for Pixel owners who can’t prove that their microphones were faulty, or for original Pixel owners in general, even if they haven’t experienced any issues with their Pixel’s microphone.
- $350 for Pixel owners who experienced the microphone defect in a single Pixel unit.
- $500 for Pixel owners who experienced the microphone defect on multiple Pixel units.
You can also choose to file a claim that excludes yourself from this particular settlement, which allows you to participate in future class-action lawsuits. If you do nothing, you forfeit any payment and give up your right to claim on any future class-action lawsuits.