- Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
- You can use Spotlight search on your Mac by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper-right corner of your screen or using a keyboard command.
- Once Spotlight search is open, enter a word or phrase into the search bar and search results will automatically populate.
- In addition to searching your computer for documents, Spotlight search will also search the internet to find news, weather, and content relevant to your search.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Spotlight search differs from simply searching in your Finder because instead of just scanning your computer for saved files and downloads, Spotlight also searches the internet for news, weather, and content relevant to your search.
Here’s how to use it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to use Spotlight search on your Mac
1. Click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper-right corner of your top menu bar.
- You can also press “command” + the space bar on your keyboard to launch the shortcut.
- Isabella Paoletto/Business Insider
2. Type your word or phrase into the search bar.
- Marissa Perino/Business Insider
- In addition to showing relevant documents, downloads, emails, and messages on your computer, Spotlight will also use the internet to reveal the dictionary definition and relevant websites for your search terms, if possible.
- If applicable, Spotlight will also show other information – such as weather and entertainment options.
3. Click on any search result to view more or open the file or website.