Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Grocery shopping can be a real hassle – especially if you live far from grocery stores.
- Depending on where you live, you can get groceries delivered right to your door with AmazonFresh.
- Here’s how to sign up for the service and how to use it.
You can cross the grocery store off your list of things to do this week, even if you’re not crossing off grocery shopping.
What, you say, is this black magic? No magic, but rather the joy of AmazonFresh. The online retailer has brought together ecommerce and fresh produce, and it may just be the best feature that Amazon has to offer. Here’s how to sign up for the grocery delivery service.
1. Check to see if AmazonFresh is available where you live
To determine whether or not your zip code qualifies, visit Amazon.com/AmazonFresh. If the service is available, you’re in luck! Continue onward.
2. Sign up for your free 30-day trial
In order to entice new subscribers to try out the service, Amazon is offering up a 30-day free trial for new members. Simply select “Start your 30-day free trial,” and follow the on-screen instructions. If you enjoy the experience and want to continue past your 30-day trial, AmazonFresh will set you back $14.99 per month.
3. Start shopping locally
Once you’ve signed up, you can order fresh produce and groceries for delivery either later on the same day or the very next day. You’ll be able to browse selections from local shops and supermarkets, buying everything from fresh fish to berries to rolls of paper towels. Amazon has divided its online grocery store into a few easy categories, including Dairy, Deli, Bakery, Fresh Fruit, Meal Kits, and Beverages.
4. Decide how you want your delivery
There are a few options for delivery:
- Attended delivery is available in all cities where AmazonFresh is available. Simply select a one-hour time slot when you’ll be around to receive your groceries. You’ll receive items in paper bags rather than the traditional temperature-controlled tote.
- You could also elect to have your order left with a doorman or security guard. Simply leave instructions when necessary for delivery on the preview order page under delivery instructions.
- Doorstep Delivery is also available in all cities where AmazonFresh is available. Rather than a one-hour time slot, you’ll be selecting a two to three-hour time slot that fits with your schedule. When you get home, you’ll find your groceries on your doorstep in a temperature-controlled tote. Note that Doorstep Delivery must involve a doorstep – if your building has a secure entry or limited access, this may not be the best option.
- If you need to change delivery times or dates, be sure that you do so before the order has started processing. This can be done through Order Details.
5. Pay for your delivery
Depending on what city you live in, there may be a different free shipping threshold. Assuming you’ve surpassed this threshold (it’s generally low enough to be easily surpassed if you’re shopping for a week’s worth of groceries), then both Attended and Doorstep Delivery are free. If you don’t pass the local free shipping threshold before tax, you’ll have to pay a $9.99 delivery fee.
6. Alternatively, use AmazonFresh Pickup
This option is available only in select cities, is completely free, and does not require an order minimum. Simply select your groceries and then choose a pickup location as your AmazonFresh account address, then reserve a time slot. Your groceries could be ready for pickup in as little as 30 minutes.
While you may have a bit of trepidation around buying groceries sight unseen, know that Amazon’s customer service team makes shopping on AmazonFresh quite seamless. You have a 30-day refund policy at your disposal if you aren’t satisfied with the condition of your Fresh items.