- Ikea’s $29 BJORKSTA world map is missing New Zealand.
- The mistake was spotted by a shopper at an Ikea in Washington, DC, who shared a photo of the map to Reddit.
- Ikea announced last year that it is expanding to New Zealand – it is unclear if the Swedish furniture giant will sell the map there.
- The map is sold online in US and Australian stores.
Ikea’s $29, multi-colored world map has one problem: It’s missing an entire country.
An eagle-eyed customer posted a photo of the store’s BJORKSTA map to Reddit on Thursday after noticing that it erased New Zealand from world geography.
“Ikea’s map game is not on point,” the Reddit user wrote.
The photo was taken at an Ikea in Washington, DC, the photographer said in a comment in his Reddit thread.
With the Swedish furniture giant expanding to New Zealand soon, many were left wondering if the store would alter the map for Kiwi customers.
An Ikea spokesperson apologized for the error in a statement to INSIDER.
“IKEA is responsible for securing correct and compliant motifs on all our products,” the statement said. “We can see that the process has failed regarding the product BJÖRKSTA world map. We will take necessary actions and the product is now being phased out from our stores. We regret this mistake and apologize.”
Elsewhere on Reddit, there’s an entire thread dedicated to sharing photos of maps that have forgotten New Zealand.
- Read more about Ikea:
- Some American Ikea employees are getting slapped with pay cuts – and they worry it’ll spark a manager exodus
- In a leaked video, Ikea US head apologizes for restructuring that store employees say tanked morale and pit them against each other
- Ikea president who led controversial store restructuring is retiring after 36 years with the Swedish furniture giant
- Ikea employees say that changes to the stores are creating a divisive environment where ‘nobody is willing to help’