- Jeffrey Epstein was booked in to Metropolitan Correctional Center in Lower Manhattan as inmate 76318-054 after he was arrested on sex-trafficking charges on Saturday, according to Bloomberg.
- He’s sharing the facility with Paul Manafort and Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.
- One of Guzman’s lawyers, Jeffrey Lichtman, told Bloomberg that he saw Epstein in a jail-issued uniform in a MCC holding cell on Monday.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Jeffrey Epstein is being held at a notorious Manhattan jail as he awaits a bail hearing in his sex-trafficking case – and he’s sharing the facility Paul Manafort and Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.
Epstein was booked in to Metropolitan Correctional Center in Lower Manhattan as inmate 76318-054 after he was arrested at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey on Saturday, according to Bloomberg.
He was charged on Monday with sex trafficking and conspiracy. In the indictment, prosecutors alleged that Epstein molested girls as young as 14 in a sex trafficking operation that ran from at least 2002 to 2005. Epstein has pleaded not guilty.
Epstein has a bail hearing scheduled for July 15, and could be released from the facility under conditions to be determined by a judge.
One of Guzman’s lawyers, Jeffrey Lichtman, told Bloomberg that he saw Epstein in a jail-issued uniform in a MCC holding cell on Monday.
“There he was, sitting there, all alone,” Litchtman said. “This unit is completely isolating.”
Brandon Sample, a defense attorney and sentencing-reform advocate, told Bloomberg that Epstein is likely assigned to a room no larger than 100 square feet, with only a bed, toilet with an attached sink, and a desk.
MCC, which sits two blocks from Manhattan’s City Hall and three blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge, was criticized last year by human rights groups who told Gothamist that it was filthy, rat-invested, and lacking medical care. Human rights groups said inmates are subjected to violence and abuse at the hands of guards.
According to Bloomberg, high-profile inmates are usually held in 10 South, where they spend 23 hours a day inside their cells with an hour of daily exercise in an indoor recreation center.
- Read more:
- Trump’s Labor secretary refuses to resign after criticism of the lenient plea deal he negotiated with accused sex trafficker Jeffery Epstein
- ‘Everybody called it “Pedophile Island”‘: Locals describe Jeffrey Epstein’s shadowy presence in the US Virgin Islands
- Jeffrey Epstein had 14 phone numbers connected to Trump in his contacts
- A timeline of sexual abuse cases brought against Jeffrey Epstein