- Dia Dipasupil/FilmMagic
- In an upcoming cover story for British Vogue, Karlie Kloss gets candid about marrying into the Kushner family.
- “It’s been hard” having two Trump administration officials in the family, Kloss said, since she and her husband Josh are fervent Democrats.
- She also opened up about converting to Judaism for her husband.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Karlie Kloss gave a candid interview with British Vogue about what it has been like marrying into the Kushner family.
Last fall, the model married entrepreneur Josh Kushner in a small ceremony in Upstate New York. Her husband is the younger brother of Jared Kushner, who works with his wife Ivanka Trump in the White House.
Kloss said “it’s been hard” having two Trump administration officials in the family, as both she and her husband are staunch Democrats.
“But I choose to focus on the values that I share with my husband, and those are the same liberal values that I was raised with and that have guided me throughout my life,” Kloss told British Vogue.
Kloss first started dating Kushner seven years ago, long before Trump decided to run for office.
- Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
Kloss said converting to Judaism has made her ‘stronger and self-loving and resilient’
She also spoke about what it was like to convert to Judaism for her husband.
“Changing part of who you are for someone else can be seen as weak,” Kloss told British Vogue. “But you know what? Actually, if you’ve been through what I’ve experienced, it requires you to be anything but weak. It requires me to be stronger and self-loving and resilient. I really did not take this lightly.”
Kloss added that she didn’t just become Jewish for her husband. It was a decision she made as an “independent, strong woman” after “many years of studying and talking with friends and family and soul searching.”
She pointed to the Jewish tradition of Shabbat as one of the things that drew her to the religion. Between sunset Friday and nightfall Saturday, many Jews disconnect from work.
“I think we all have a tendency to just keep going … Shabbat has brought so much meaning into my life. It helps me reconnect to the actual world,” she said.
- Read more:
- A new book claims Jared Kushner’s family wouldn’t meet his brother Josh’s girlfriend, model Karlie Kloss, until after she converted to Judaism for their marriage
- Joshua Kushner and Karlie Kloss are selling their NYC apartment for $7 million. Here’s a look inside the luxurious condo that comes with a fully landscaped terrace
- 35 photos that show how models have changed over the years
- 13 power couples that rule tech