- Matt Porteous/ Reuters.
- Kate Middleton cancelled her appearance at the Tusk Awards just hours before she was supposed to attend on Thursday evening, and some reports suggest it was because she couldn’t find a babysitter.
- While a Kensington Palace spokesperson told the Mirror the duchess’ absence was “due to the children,” event sources told political correspondent Claire Ellicotte it was because she couldn’t find someone to look after Princes George, Louis, and Princess Charlotte.
- The Mail Online reported that one of the children had taken ill.
- Kensington Palace did not respond to Insider’s request for comment.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kensington Palace previously announced Kate Middleton would attend the Tusk Awards with Prince William on Thursday evening. Just hours before she was supposed to attend, however, the palace announced that the duchess would no longer accompany her husband.
No explanation was given at the time, however a palace spokesperson has since told the Mirror the duchess’ absence was “due to the children.”
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail’s political correspondent Claire Ellicotte wrote on Twitter: “The Duchess of Cambridge pulled out of tonight’s Tusk Awards because the couple couldn’t find a babysitter, according to event sources.”
The Duchess of Cambridge pulled out of tonight's Tusk Awards because the couple couldn't find a babysitter, according to event sources
— Claire Ellicott (@ClaireEllicott1) November 21, 2019
A report by the Mail Online suggests one of the children had taken ill.
“It is understood one of the children was not feeling well and Kate felt she needed to stay with them as no one else could step in,” the report reads.
Kensington Palace did not respond when contacted by Insider for comment.
Middleton and William have three children together: Prince George (6), Princess Charlotte (4), and Prince Louis (1).
Despite being in the public eye, the duke and duchess have approached a hands-on duty to parenting in the past. For instance, they both accompanied Charlotte to her first day of school this past September.
However, when William and Middleton are away from home on royal engagements, the children have a nanny, Maria Borrallo, who has worked for the family since 2014.
It is not known whether Borrallo was initially supposed to be taking care of the children on Thursday evening.