- Frances Valentine
- Kate Spade was found dead in her New York apartment on Tuesday.
- A note was found on a bed near Spade’s body that was addressed to her 13-year-old daughter, Frances Beatrix Spade, TMZ reported.
- “Bea – I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!” the note said, according to TMZ.
The fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead in her New York apartment on Tuesday in what authorities reportedly believe was a suicide.
A note was found on a bed near Spade’s body that was addressed to her 13-year-old daughter, Frances Beatrix Spade, TMZ reported.
Citing law-enforcement sources, TMZ reported that the note said: “Bea – I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!”
The New York Post revealed a slightly different version of the note, citing police sources. According the the Post’s report, the note reads in part: “This has nothing to do with you. …Don’t feel guilty. Ask your dad.”
A housekeeper found Spade in her home at 850 Park Ave. at about 10:20 a.m., The Associated Press reported, citing law-enforcement officials.
Spade is believed to have hanged herself with a red scarf tied to her bedroom doorknob, according to The New York Times, which said she left behind a note. She was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:26 a.m., The Times said.
A New York Police Department source told the New York Post that Spade left behind a note.
“At this point, there was a note left,” the department’s chief of detectives, Dermot Shea, told the Post. “The contents of that note, as well as the physical state of the apartment and the comments of the witness, lend to the credibility that it is an apparent suicide.”
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or has had thoughts of harming themselves or taking their own life, get help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) provides 24/7, free, confidential support for people in distress, as well as best practices for professionals and resources to aid in prevention and crisis situations.
Remembering Kate Spade:
- ‘You don’t know me but I know you’: After Kate Spade’s death, people are sharing how the designer touched their lives through fashion
- Kate Spade has died in an apparent suicide at 55. Here’s the story behind the rise of her handbag empire.
- Kate Spade shared how she wanted to be remembered in a 2002 interview
- Kate Spade was totally detached from her namesake brand
- Kate Spade leaves behind her husband and business partner. Here’s what we know about their relationship.
- Kate Spade’s fans are reacting to her apparent suicide with reminders about mental health
- Celebrities and fashion industry figures are reacting to Kate Spade’s apparent suicide