Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman announced on Monday (August 13) that the National Civics Bureau (BTN) and the National Service programme will be abolished with immediate effect.
Speaking at a press conference at the Parliament’s media room, the 25-year-old said that the decision was made following last week’s Cabinet meeting, The Star reported.
“They will undergo a consolidation effort, where we will decide how best to manage all the existing assets”, he said.
He also said that all manpower and resources will be absorbed into the relevant ministries.
The Ministry of Youth and Sports is also planning a new youth development initiative to replace the discontinued programmes.
“An overhaul of the involved departments will take place, where the ministry will meet with relevant stakeholders and other ministries to discuss a new programme that will empower the youth to be leaders of tomorrow”, he said.
He also added that the state sovereign fund Khazanah Nasional Berhad has also been included in revamp plans.
These are not the only changes that Mr Saddiq is planning, as he previously had plans to lower the voting age as well.