- Downtown Hotel
- In 2018, Nick Griffiths, a marine from the UK, lost toes due to frostbite during an ultramarathon.
- So he decided to donate his big toe to Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, Canada.
- The bar is known for its Sourtoe Cocktail, which is part drink and part challenge.
- It’s a cocktail made with whiskey and mummified human toe. In order to “complete” the challenge, the toe must touch your lips.
- Griffiths hopes to drink a cocktail with his own toe in it.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
This week, Adam Gerle, the general manager of the Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, Yukon, Canada, got what most would consider an alarming package. But Gerle just laughed, a statement from the hotel said.
On his desk was a human toe. Yes, really.
The human body part was sent to him by Nick Griffiths, a Marine from the UK. Griffiths, who lost his toe due to frostbite while running an ultra marathon in 2018, knew that the bar was the perfect recipient for the package.
After temperatures plummeted to below 40 degrees during 2018 Yukon Arctic Ultra, Griffiths was hospitalized for frostbite on his left foot, according to the statement. While in the hospital, he offered to donate his toes to the Downtown Hotel.
“We couldn’t be happier to receive a new toe,” Gerle said in a statement. “They are very hard to come by these days and this generous toe-nation.”
The bar is known for its “Sourtoe” cocktail which is part drink and part challenge. The drink is made with whiskey and mummified human toe, and in order to “complete” the challenge, the toe must touch your lips. Once the toe touches a person’s lips they are awarded a certificate by the bar.
There is even a saying about the challenge: “You can drink it fast, you can drink it slow, but your lips must touch the toe.”
- Downtown Hotel
Over 86,000 Sourtoe cocktails have been served since the beverage was first served in 1973.
“It will take approximately 6 weeks to mummify the toe on rock salt before we can serve it, said Terry Lee, Toe Master. “The toe was stored properly in medical grade alcohol so the process should go smoothly. We have been waiting for a new big toe for a while so this is exciting news indeed! The big toes are the most disgusting and popular with the customers.”
Griffiths is looking forward to vising the hotel and having a drink containing his own toe.
- Read more:
- A construction worker dad became an Instagram influencer and his account is so pure
- A mom says she was forced to leave a public pool because she was breastfeeding: ‘I have a right to feed my baby’
- A woman claims she vomited blood and sustained ‘chemical burns’ after drinking what she believed was soda at the same Dominican resort where an American tourist died
- It took a tourist 30 seconds to open a mysterious safe that had been locked for 40 years