- Douglas Friedman
- While promoting her new partnership with MSC Cruises, Martha Stewart spoke about how she finds the best “hidden gems” and little-known local spots while traveling.
- The key to finding secret spots is talking to locals and others with knowledge of a destination.
- Stewart also collects articles about the destination and brings them with her on her trips.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
As part of her new partnership with MSC Cruises, Martha Stewart has planned shore excursions for passengers to her favorite spots in the Caribbean, the Martha Stewart & MSC Explorer Excursions. The itineraries include cafes and restaurants, art galleries, craft markets, hikes, and gardens that she has come across through her travels.
“We want to send people where we would go ourselves, or where we have been ourselves and know about,” she said. “That’s the way I like to work.”
Stewart’s strategy for finding locals’ favorite little-known spots while traveling is simple: She makes lots of lists.
Stewart reads the travel sections of newspapers before her trips, then brings useful articles she’s collected along with her.
“Susan Magrino [Stewart’s publicist] has the same habits I have,” Stewart told INSIDER. “She collects every single travel section, so when we go someplace together on a trip, we have our travel sections, we have our lists.”
- Douglas Friedman
Stewart also asks people who have lived in or recently traveled to a destination for their recommendations and lists of must-see stops.
“I ask everybody,” she said. “I must have had five or six different lists from people I really trust in terms of places to see and places to go to and restaurants to eat in. That’s how I do it … You have to talk, and that’s what we do all the time. It’s a network.”
For those who don’t have such an extensive network, she hopes that her Martha Stewart & MSC Explorer Excursions help passengers make the most of their time at sea.
“That [network] is not always available to the customers on the ship, so we help them,” she said. “You want to spend your time when you’re on shore seeing as much as you can see. That’s how I travel, anyway. Everyone who travels with me is totally wiped out because we try to see a lot.”
Stewart’s specially-curated shore excursions, holiday menus, and gift packages for MSC Cruises will be available starting June 1 on MSC Armonia and MSC Seaside in the Caribbean.
- Read more:
- THEN AND NOW: Photos that show how glamorous cruise ships used to be
- The best cruise line for every type of traveler
- 11 of the biggest mistakes people make on cruises
- This cruise ship is full of apartments that were designed to look like luxury condos in NYC and London – and wealthy people are dishing out up to $36 million for them