- Getty Images
- More Americans were searching for Meghan Markle than Donald Trump on Thursday.
- Google confirmed to Business Insider that royalty briefly trumped the President.
- It shows the extent of the US obsession with the royal wedding, helped along by a dramatic week of news.
- Since the US is so much larger than Britain, there are probably more royal fans there than in the royal family’s own country.
America is so obsessed with the royal wedding that Meghan Markle briefly overtook the US president in Google’s internal search rankings.
More people were searching Markle’s name than Donald Trump’s for a brief window on Thursday morning, Google confirmed to Business Insider in an email.
Trump and the drama around his White House administration is comfortably ahead of royal news most of the time.
Even in the week leading up to the royal wedding, the British monarchy was mostly still second, but nonetheless managed a brief surge to the top amid a spike of interest in Markle.
It was likely helped along by the unexpected drama around the Markle family, which saw her dad dramatically dropped from the central role of walking her down the aisle during Saturday’s ceremony.
Palace officials said on Friday that Markle had asked Prince Charles to do the honors instead.
This graph, from Google’s publicly-available trending data, shows the close run Markle and Trump are having on Google.
It’s worth noting that the above graph shows relative search volume, not absolute.
So it shows how much search interest Meghan Markle is getting compared to how much she normally gets, next to Trump data compared to how much interest he gets.
It’s impossible to know from those lines who has a larger number of searches overall, but Google confirmed separately that Markle did briefly win in line with one of her spikes.
More on the royal wedding:
- Here’s what time Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal wedding will start where you live – and how to watch it
- Here’s exactly what time the Queen, royal family, Harry, and Meghan will arrive at Windsor Castle for the royal wedding on Saturday
- Prince Charles will replace Meghan Markle’s dad at the royal wedding and walk her down the aisle
- Meghan Markle has broken her silence on her family drama – and says her dad definitely isn’t coming to the wedding
- Princess Charlotte and Prince George will be bridesmaid and page boy in the royal wedding – here’s who else made the list
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s big day will cost over 1,000 times more than the average wedding – here’s where it will all go
- Follow all of our coverage here