- Crystal Cox/Business Insider
- Americans unite around candy come Halloween time, but they’re just as divided as ever over which candy is the best.
- CandyStore.com, an online bulk candy retailer that’s tracked its sales over the last 12 years, released a map that showed the most popular candy in each US state.
- The most popular candy nationwide was Skittles, followed by Reese’s Cups and M&M’s. But some states preferred niche choices like Lemonheads or saltwater taffy.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A love of candy is something that unites Americans around this time of year.
But a new map of America’s favorite candy by state, based on analysis by CandyStore.com, shows that we are more divided than ever.
CandyStore.com, which sells candy in bulk across the US and Canada, has tracked its best-selling candy in every state for the last 12 years. According to this year’s updated data, the best-selling candy in America is Skittles, followed by Reese’s Cups and M&Ms.
Of course, there were odd states out. Saltwater taffy is surprisingly popular in Washington, but there’s also Montana and Oklahoma, which ordered more Dubble Bubble gum than anything else. Louisiana and Kentucky eschewed more mainstream choices for Lemonheads and Swedish Fish, respectively.
A surprising number of states ordered more candy corn than anything else. Among them was Iowa, the nation’s capital of corn production. Also popular were Snickers, Starburst, and Hot Tamales.
The National Retail Federation estimated that shoppers will spend the same amount as they did last year on Halloween candy: $2.6 billion. This stagnation is partially due to heightened consumer uncertainty in the face of the Trump administration’s tariffs.
- Ruobing Su/Business Insider