- OnePlus is announcing its OnePlus 7 Pro smartphone on May 14.
- The company is expected to also announce the “non-pro” OnePlus 7 model, but there’s no confirmation yet for the standard OnePlus 7.
- The OnePlus 7 Pro will have 5G connectivity, as well as a special display that OnePlus CEO Pete Lau said is “super smooth” and “very crisp.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
OnePlus is announcing its new OnePlus 7 Pro smartphone on May 14.
The OnePlus 7 Pro will be the successor to the company’s OnePlus 6T smartphone, which was released in November 2018.
The OnePlus 7 Pro will come with more premium features, such as a special display that OnePlus CEO Pete Lau said is “super smooth” and “very crisp.” Lau didn’t confirm what he meant, but there are rumors that the OnePlus 7 Pro will have a display with a 90-hertz refresh rate compared with the 60-hertz refresh rate on iPhones and the Galaxy S10. That extra 30 hertz would enable the OnePlus 7 Pro’s screen to render an extra 30 frames per second for animations, which could make a noticeable difference for mobile games, swiping around apps, and the Android operating system.
Lau also confirmed that the OnePlus 7 Pro will come with 5G connectivity.
There’s no official confirmation that a more standard “non-pro” OnePlus 7 smartphone will also be announced.
The company is hosting events in four different countries:
- Pier 94, New York – 11 a.m. EDT on May 14
- Printworks, London – 4 a.m. BST on May 14
- BIEC, Bangalore, India – 8:15 p.m. IST on May 14
- Yanqi Lake, Beijing – 2 p.m. PST on May 16.
Tickets sales for the events will start on April 25 on OnePlus’s website at 11 a.m. Early-bird tickets will cost $20. Early-bird ticket sales will last for 48 hours, after which standard and “Plus One” tickets will be sold. OnePlus did not list the price for regular ticket sales.