- Getty Images
- China has finished building an emergency hospital set up specifically to battle the Wuhan coronavirus.
- Work started January 23, and the last brick was laid Sunday morning, according to Chinese state media.
- Huoshenshan Hospital has an area of 25,000 square meters and has 1,000 beds, with 1,400 military medics of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army expected to staff the hospital.
- The virus has killed 361 people in China. Several Chinese cities, including Wuhan, are under lockdown and quarantine.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Work began on Huoshenshan Hospital on January 23 and was completed Sunday morning, according to Chinese state media.
A makeshift hospital replicating Beijing's SARS treatment model is ready to join in battle against novel strain of #coronavirus in Wuhan. Some 1,400 military medics are tasked with treating patients here starting from Monday pic.twitter.com/qhUbcxkoy0
— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) February 2, 2020
The hospital has now been passed into the control of medical staff, and is expected to admit patients starting Monday, the Global Times wrote on Twitter. Huoshenshan Hospital is to be staffed by 1,400 medical personnel from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army.
The hospital has an area of 25,000 square meters, or 269,000 square feet, and has 1,000 beds, according to People’s Daily, a state-run news outlet. CGTN, another state-run outlet, offered a first look inside the completed makeshift medical facility Sunday evening.
These images show the inside facility of Huoshenshan Hospital, which is set to open Monday with 1,400 medical staff, all from the PLA, and 1,000 beds pic.twitter.com/1T0MVANPFa
— CGTN (@CGTNOfficial) February 3, 2020
More than 300 people have died from the virus since it broke out in early December. Several Chinese cities, including Wuhan, are on lockdown and have been quarantined.
More than 17,000 people have tested positive for the virus across 24 countries, with the vast majority of cases in China. The death toll in China is 361, with the first death registered outside China reported in the Philippines on Sunday.
Chinese authorities are building a second emergency hospital, 25 miles from Huoshenshan Hospital, called Leishenshan Hospital.
It has a capacity of 1,600 beds and is expected to open Wednesday, according to CGTN.