- Elsie’s, a New Jersey deli, serves sandwiches on giant kosher pickles instead of bread.
- The deli also sells sushi-style “roll-up” mini sandwiches with cold cuts encased in thin wraps made of pickle or cucumber strips.
- Elsie’s pickle sandwiches start at $8.50 each, while a six-piece roll-up order costs between $9 and $9.50.
- Elsie’s general manager Katherine Cohen told INSIDER that “so many individuals have cut bread out of their diet due to allergies and dieting and finally being able to actually enjoy a sandwich brings people to tears.”
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
A deli in New Jersey has gone viral for its unique approach to sandwich building.
Instead of piling cold cuts and cheese in between layers of bread, Elsie’s in Haddon Township, New Jersey, serves its sandwiches on a giant kosher pickle.
Customers can pair one of these thick, juicy pickle casings with any of Elsie’s specialty sandwiches, like “Homage To Katz,” featuring turkey breast, corned beef, swiss cheese, homemade thousand island dressing, and coleslaw, or “The Harold,” a corned beef sandwich with swiss cheese and spicy mustard. They can also assemble their own combination of Boars Head-brand corned beef, roast beef, turkey breast, domestic ham, salami, and any number of typical sandwich toppings to stuff into their pickle sandwich.
Not only are Elsie’s sandwiches an ideal treat for pickle enthusiasts, but they also provide a sandwich alternative for those who have allergies that prohibit them from eating bread.
“These sandwiches have transformed people’s lives,” Elsie’s general manager Katherine Cohen told INSIDER. “We’ve had people literally crying when they see the product. So many individuals have cut bread out of their diet due to allergies and dieting and finally being able to actually enjoy a sandwich brings people to tears.”
If Elsie’s unconventional subs aren’t quite your style, perhaps the 118-year-old deli’s “roll-ups” will pique your interest. These sushi-style mini-sandwiches encase typical sandwich fillings in a wrap made of thin pickle or cucumber strips. They start at $9 for a six-piece order.
Some of the highlights of Elsie’s roll-ups selection include the “Philadelphia Roll,” which features roast beef and american cheese topped with lettuce, tomato, and red onion, and the “Italian Roll,” which boasts ham, capicola, salami, and provolone topped with lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
Elsie’s even has a dessert option for pickle lovers, with pickle cupcakes available only by special request.
- Read more:
- 10 surprisingly useful things you can do with a jar of pickles
- Lay’s new chip flavors are inspired by different regions of the US – and one bag tastes just like fried pickles
- Sonic is rolling out pickle juice slushies – and they taste better than you would expect
- Koolickles are pickles soaked in Kool-Aid