- SAJJAD HUSSAIN/AFP/Getty Images
- Priyanka Chopra spoke about her wedding to Nick Jonas during an appearance on Wednesday’s “The Ellen Degeneres Show.”
- The actress said their wedding was “intimate” compared to other Indian weddings.
- She said her mother wanted an even larger ceremony.
Priyanka Chopra is opening up about her stunning wedding to Nick Jonas.
During an appearance on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” Wednesday, the 36-year-old actress explained how her three-day wedding – which consisted of an Indian ceremony, a Christian ceremony, and a day of pre-rituals – was relatively “intimate” compared to other Indian weddings.
“Usually Indian weddings are like 1,000 people at least,” Chopra said. “We only had 200 people which was mostly just family because both of us have giant families. Because I think we just wanted to keep it super intimate, about just family.”
Chopra said her mom wanted her to have an even larger ceremony.
“My mother was so upset with me the whole time,” Chopra said. “She was like, ‘I need to have another party for the 150,000 people I know. How can I not invite my jeweler? How can I not invite my hairdresser?’ So it was a whole conversation.”
View this post on Instagram
This is us. My family… Everyone in head to toe @ralphlauren – thank you, we love you!! The most gorgeous jewels ???? by @chopard And…thank you @sabyasachiofficial for creating my epic Indian lehenga and stunning jewelry. @abujanisandeepkhosla thank you for designing the most memorable settings for all our ceremonies ♥️
Chopra and Jonas, 26, married in a Christian ceremony on December 1, 2018 and in a Hindu ceremony December 2.
The wedding festivities began even earlier with a welcome dinner for friends on Monday, November 26. According to the Hindustan Times, the couple also hosted a family puja – a traditional Hindu prayer ritual – on Wednesday, November 28.
The couple celebrated Thursday with their Mehendi, a pre-wedding henna-applying ceremony, as well as the Sangeet, a musical evening marked by dance performances from both sides that marks the union of the union of the couple’s families.
View this post on Instagram
One of the most special things that our relationship has given us is a merging of families who love and respect each other's faiths and cultures. And so planning our wedding with an amalgamation of both was so so amazing. An important part of the pre wedding rituals for the girl in an Indian wedding is the Mehendi. Once again we made it our own and it was an afternoon that kicked off the celebrations in the way we both dreamed. @nickjonas
The couple hasn’t finished celebrating just yet, either. They had a wedding reception in Charlotte, North Carolina in January 2019. The reception was held at Nellie’s Southern Kitchen, a restaurant owned and operated by the Jonas family.
Watch the full interview below.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
- Read more about Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra:
- Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra’s epic honeymoon has moved to the beach – see the pictures
- A new video shows Priyanka Chopra getting emotional as she tries on her crystal-covered wedding gown for the first time
- Newlyweds Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas went on a ski trip with Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas – see the photos
- The wedding outfit Priyanka Chopra wore for her Hindu ceremony took 110 embroiderers a total of 3,720 hours to make
- Here’s a complete timeline of Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra’s relationship, who recently tied the knot at an Indian palace