- Steve Parsons/ Getty Images
- Queen Elizabeth II has given the public a first look at her Christmas Day broadcast, however, it seems she has left the Duke and Duchess of Sussex out of her annual festive message.
- In a press release, the monarch circulated images of the upcoming broadcast, where photos of the royal family can be seen beside her as she delivers a speech in Windsor Castle’s Green Drawing Room.
- Even though Her Majesty displayed a photo of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s 2019 Christmas card, she did not display Harry and Markle’s first Christmas card with baby Archie.
- The trio are currently celebrating their first Christmas away from the royal family in Canada.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Queen has given fans a first look at her upcoming Christmas Day broadcast, however, it seems that some members of the family are missing.
An image from the broadcast (above), which was circulated in a press release from Buckingham Palace, shows Her Majesty sitting in Windsor Castle’s Green Drawing Room, surrounded by photos of her family.
A photo of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall is featured, as well as one of Her Majesty’s father, King George VI. Another picture shows the monarch’s husband Prince Philip, who was just released from hospital on Christmas Eve after being treated for a pre-existing condition.
Her Majesty also displayed a photo of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s 2019 Christmas card, which included their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis.
The Cambridge Household family Christmas card this year features The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with their three children, Prince Louis, Princess Charlotte and Prince George on a motorbike and sidecar ❄️???? pic.twitter.com/pNg3zPJXqS
— Benjamin Wareing (@BenjaminWareing) December 18, 2019
Even though the Duke and Duchess of Sussex released their first family Christmas card with their son Archie this week, the Queen chose not to display it alongside the Cambridge family’s card.
This is a contrast to last year’s speech, where Her Majesty displayed a royal family photo that included Harry and Markle in it.
However, since the broadcast is not due to air in the UK until Christmas Day, it’s possible the Queen could still give a nod to Harry and Markle in some other way, for instance in the contents of her speech.
The couple are currently spending their first Christmas away from the royal family, as they vacation with the duchess’ mother, Doria Ragland, in Canada.
Even though Buckingham Palace released a statement saying the couple’s decision had the full support of the monarch, some people claimed Meghan was “snubbing” the Queen and that it could signal underlying issues with the royal family.
There were also reports that the Queen was worried about the couple after they expressed they were struggling with royal life in their royal tour documentary.
An anonymous royal source told the Evening Standard that “the Queen has been a source of strength” for the couple, and that she had “invited them both to Balmoral where family problems are usually aired.”