The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you’ll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- Reuters/Robert Galbraith
- Apple rarely holds sales.
- But Amazon has them all the time. And right now you can buy a certified refurbished 12″ MacBook for $819 on the site – that’s $380 cheaper than buying one brand new.
- The 12″ MacBook weighs just over two pounds and is powerful enough to handle all your everyday tasks, from casual web browsing to video streaming.
- It’s a great portable laptop for students and/or frequent travelers and is guaranteed to come to you in like-new condition.
- It also comes with a 90-day warranty, and in the event that you run into any issues, you’ll receive a replacement or a full refund.
Apple’s laptop lineup is bigger than ever, but if you’re looking for the ultimate portable MacBook, your best choice is the 12″ MacBook.
If you’re concerned about buying a certified refurbished device, you don’t have to be; this 12″ MacBook is guaranteed to come to you in like-new condition and has a 90-day warranty. Woot, the third-party company that’s selling the MacBook on Amazon will replace it if it’s defective or malfunctioning within the warranty period. If they don’t have a replacement available, they’ll issue a full refund. The warranty does not cover accidental damage.
The 12″ MacBook’s biggest strength is its size: At around half an inch thick and slightly over two pounds, it’s highly portable. Apple says its battery lasts up to 10 hours, which is more than enough time to get you through an average workday or transatlantic flight without needing to recharge it.
The only place where this MacBook lags a little bit is in raw power. The biggest factor to consider is its core M processor, which is fine for lighter tasks like browsing the web, using Microsoft Office, watching Netflix, and light photo editing. It has enough memory to do a couple of those things at once without slowing the system down, and its SSD is large enough to hold most people’s digital media, documents, and apps without filling up.
What it comes down to is this: If you spend most of your time on a computer doing basic, everyday tasks, the 12″ MacBook should be perfectly fine. If you’re planning on editing a ton of 4K footage, multi-track audio recordings, or a bunch of super high-resolution photos, you’re better off with a MacBook Pro.
If you have a relatively light workload, and want a laptop you can carry around in a backpack without realizing it’s there, I can’t think of a better choice than the 12″ MacBook. But this deal isn’t going to stick around, so if you’re on the hunt for a new laptop, or an extremely generous gift, you’d better act fast.