- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg met comedian Kate McKinnon at a play in New York City Tuesday night.
- McKinnon has played Ginsburg on “Saturday Night Live” for years.
- Pictures and video show the two shaking hands and posing for pictures together.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Comedian Kate McKinnon looked bashful as she met Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg for the first time Tuesday night, after playing her on “Saturday Night Live” for the past four years.
The two took in an all-Yiddish production of “Fiddler on the Roof” at the off-Broadway Stage 42 theater.
After the curtain fell, McKinnon was seen participating in a two-minute-long standing ovation for RBG, and then going over and shaking the justice’s hand.
At @FiddlerNYC and Ruth Bader Ginsburg is here! And Kate McKinnon just shook her hand!!! In all seriousness, this is a show that all #SCOTUS, judges, government officials should see. #seeingdouble #fiddlerontheroof #empathy #refugees #immigrants pic.twitter.com/6rdCvNpb6k
— ???????????????????? ???????????????? ????????♀️ (@spinstripes) August 14, 2019
View this post on Instagram
The notorious, honorable, badass, iconic #RBG visited us tonight at @fiddlernyc ???? If that wasn’t enough, #katemckinnon came too…their meeting was epic. I have no words. (and my face does NOT represent my true awe, thanks, happiness, and joy in this moment…) #fiddlerontheroof #ruthbaderginsburg #rbg #hero #womensrights #supremecourt #katemckinnon #snl #notoriousrbg #offbroadway #broadway #musical #fancyguests #snl @nbcsnl
The two then congregated on the stage to meet the cast and crew and take pictures together.
Joel Grey, who is directing the production, told PEOPLE that he was overjoyed to have “two incredible women” come to see the musical.
He said Ginsburg “was generous and sweet” and “the audience went crazy for her.”
Grey said every member of the production gathered around to see the two after the show.
— Adoring Kate McKinnon (@KateMcKinnonNet) August 14, 2019
“Every stage hand was there,” Grey said “You’ve never seen happier faces on 50 people.”
At the 2018 Sundance Film Festival, Ginsburg said she was a fan of McKinnon playing her on “SNL”.
“I liked the actress who portrayed me and I would like to say ‘Gins-burn!’ sometimes to my colleagues,” she said, according to Entertainment Weekly.
Representatives for Ginsburg and McKinnon didn’t immediately respond to INSIDER’s request for comment on Thursday.
- Read more:
- Kate McKinnon’s Elizabeth Warren takes on ‘Donald Jacka– Trump’ on SNL’s Weekend Update
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg jokes about a senator who wanted her dead: ‘That senator … is now himself dead, and I am very much alive’
- Padma Lakshmi shares selfie from lavish dinner with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, where they ‘sipped champagne’ and dined on king salmon and cardamom ice cream
- Kate McKinnon dupes New Yorkers into thinking she’s Reese Witherspoon with her spot-on impression on ‘Billy on the Street’