Home Tags Infection

Tag: Infection

Most household dogs and cats have the bacteria in their saliva.

A man died after his dog licked him, leading to a rare infection that caused blisters and strange bruises

Most pet dogs have the bacteria that caused the infection in their saliva, but most people who come in contact with it don't get sick.
A new parasitic worm has been found to infect human eyeballs, likely transmitted by flies.

A woman pulled a half-inch-long worm out of her eyeball after a trail run, and then found 3 more

She's only the second known human case of the infection, which is typically found in cattle but may be spread by flies.
Dust storms are becoming more common due to drought.

A deadly fungal infection that spreads through dust is on the rise in the southwestern US, and scientists warn the north may be next

Valley fever, which is endemic in Arizona and southern California, could eventually cover a third of the country due to climate change.
Naegleria fowleri, or a brain-eating amoeba, is a microorganism found in fresh water that causes the brain infection primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM.

A 10-year-old Texas girl has been killed by a brain-eating amoeba after a swim in the Brazos river

Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, can cause deadly brain swelling. The infection killed a 10-year-old Texas girl who swam in the Brazos river.
A non-auris form of Candida from a liver sample is shown under a microscope.

A man needed his right eye removed after a deadly drug-resistant fungal infection blinded it

Candida auris can evolve so quickly, it can resist normal fungal treatments that are designed to kill it.
He may be a good boy, but his mouth is full of bacteria.

A woman’s limbs were amputated after her dogs licked her and gave her a bacterial infection. Most dogs carry the same bacteria.

Capnocytophaga canimorsus can cause flu-like symptoms. People with weakened immune systems are most susceptible.
Always take your contacts out before you swim, shower or go to sleep, or you risk a serious eye infection.

A woman went blind after showering with contacts in, and an eye doctor says it’s because a contact lens is a ‘sponge’ for fungi and ...

It's important to take out contact lenses before going to bed, showering, or swimming. Failing to do so can lead to infection or worse.
Martin's husband believes she got the skin infection from a hotel hot tub.

An Indiana mom feared she might lose her leg after contracting a rash from a hot tub

Taylor Bryant, 26, contracted the debilitating infection in her right leg while staying at a hotel in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, in March.

One-third of Americans admit that they don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom. Here’s why you should.

Public restrooms are covered in fecal bacteria. The CDC recommends you wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds to stay clean.
A tick gave Jackson Oblisk Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF), a bacterial disease that is one of the most deadly tick-borne illnesses in the Americas.

A mother is warning others about life-threatening tick bites after her 2-year-old was hospitalized: ‘He wailed because it hurt so badly to be to...

Rocky Mountain spotted fever can be deadly, but if it's correctly diagnosed, it can be treated with antibiotics.