Home Tags Parasites

Tag: Parasites

A new parasitic worm has been found to infect human eyeballs, likely transmitted by flies.

A woman pulled a half-inch-long worm out of her eyeball after a trail run, and then found 3 more

She's only the second known human case of the infection, which is typically found in cattle but may be spread by flies.
Always take your contacts out before you swim, shower or go to sleep, or you risk a serious eye infection.

A woman went blind after showering with contacts in, and an eye doctor says it’s because a contact lens is a ‘sponge’ for fungi and ...

It's important to take out contact lenses before going to bed, showering, or swimming. Failing to do so can lead to infection or worse.
The parasite enters the human body through ingestion of the snails or slugs that carry it.

A brain-invading parasite called rat lungworm has infected more than 80 people in Hawaii after they ate slugs and snails

People may become infected when they eat unwashed produce hiding the mollusks. Home-growing food and keeping pets also raises the risk.
A species of Triatomine bugs that can spread Chagas disease.

A dangerous parasitic illness spread by bugs that bite people’s faces at night is spreading in the US, doctors warn

Bloodsucking "kissing bugs," or triatomine bugs, spread a parasitic illness called Chagas disease. Researchers have described Chagas as a "silent killer," since many people don't necessarily show signs of infection. It causes serious heart complications in about 30% of patients.

An artist found an inch-long parasitic worm in his eye — and created a haunting image

Parasitic nematodes, also known as Loa loa worms or African eyeworms, are parasites spread primarily by the bites of flies. People often don't notice they're infected until they spot a worm wriggling in their eye.
Salads sold at McDonald's and wraps containing contaminated lettuce infected at least 286 people with cyclosporiasis.

A foodborne illness has sickened at least 395 people who ate at McDonald’s, and forced recalls from Trader Joe’s and Walgreens —...

The single-celled parasite that sickened customers at McDonald's, Trader Joe's, and Walgreens is called Cyclospora cayetanensis. It causes an illness known as cyclosporiasis, which can leave sufferers with diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, fatigue, weight loss, gas, and cramping.
The tick in question is known in East Asia and has become a problem in New Zealand and Australia. Is it now in New Jersey?

These invasive ticks can appear in such numbers that they drain cattle of their blood — and they’ve now been found in the US for the first...

Ticks from Asia have been found in the US for the first time. The species can clone itself, leading to devastating infestations.
Abby Beckley, 28, of Oregon, was the first known case of human infected with "Thelazia gulosa", a cattle eye-worm species.

A woman found 14 worms hiding in her eye after it got red and scratchy — showing that a new species is capable of infecting humans

An Oregon woman found 14 Thelazia gulosa worms in her eye. They can infect cattle, but this is the first known case in a human.
Hookworms

A Canadian couple got infected by hookworm while walking on a beach — here’s what to know about the parasites

The couple reportedly acquired a larva migrans, or hookworm, infection from walking barefoot on the beach, which is how the parasites are often picked up.
Hard tick grasping a dinosaur feather preserved in 99 million-year-old Burmese amber.

A 99-million-year-old fossil shows even dinosaurs got bitten by ticks

It's the first direct evidence we have of the parasites feeding from dinosaurs. It's also the oldest evidence of ticks acting as parasites.