- shironosov/ iStock
- A 15-year-old from the small Dutch town of Katwijk sent a birthday invite to friends over Snapchat on Tuesday.
- The invite was then posted to Facebook, where 28,000 people said they would attend.
- The mayor of Katwijk shut down plans for a party and said police would stop anyone coming into the town with the ‘wrong intentions.’
It was supposed to be an intimate party, and quickly grew out of hand. A Dutch girl’s birthday invite that began as a Snapchat message to friends somehow made its way to nearly 30,000 people.
The 15-year-old sent an invite on Tuesday to friends over Snapchat about a Friday birthday party in the small Dutch town of Katwijk, according to The BBC.
“Friday party at my place, everyone welcome. If you’re coming, please let me know and who you’re bringing,” the invite said.
But when someone posted the invite on Facebook, it quickly went viral, and thousands of people said they would attend. The event was dubbed “Project X Haren” after the movie “Project X,” where a similar thing happens.
The girl’s uncle Marcel told local TV stations that one of the teen’s friends posted the invite on Facebook without permission.
“It’s a bit of a roller coaster right now,” he told Omroep Brabant TV, adding that the teenager had gone into hiding following the viral invite.
The mass response to invite prompted the town’s mayor to issue a statement saying “there would be no party in Katjwik,” and that people visiting with the ‘wrong intentions’ would be turned away by police, according to Daily Mail Online.
The event was shut down on Facebook after 8,000 people said they would attend, and another 20,000 said they were “interested” in attending, Gerlander.nl reported.
Police feared that the large crowd could turn into riots, and reminded officials of a 2012 party that went viral.
The 2012 party saw a crowd of 4,000 people that had to be broken up by riot police after a girl made an invitation to her 16th birthday public on Facebook.
- Read more about viral moments:
- When a boy sent a letter to his dad in heaven, he got the most heartwarming reply from the postman
- A cow in Australia is almost as tall as Michael Jordan, and his size actually saved his life
- 2 cats are determined to get inside an art museum in Japan, and the internet is rooting for them