- Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. Tech stocks stumbled amid fear of a US-China trade war. US President Donald Trump also doubled down on his criticism of Amazon which seems to have affected technology shares.
2. Special Counsel Robert Mueller is looking into an alleged meeting between Trump-ally Roger Stone and Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. Stone has since said he was joking about the meeting.
3. London’s murder rate overtook New York City for the first time in modern history. The two cities are roughly the same size, but knife crime has surged in England’s capital.
4. Kim Jong Un made a surprise appearance at a K-pop concert in Pyongyang. North Korea still puts citizens to death for watching South Korean media, but its leadership is slowly opening up in a new era of diplomatic relations.
5. Spotify is going public on Tuesday morning. The firm is listing on the New York Stock Exchange without underwriters, without a set price, and without a set level of supply of shares.
6. Israel almost immediately suspended a UN deal to resettle 16,000 migrants to Western countries. Israel was criticized earlier this year for offering its citizens cash bonuses to help deport African migrants.
7. Saudi Arabia’s crown prince said Iran’s leader is the “Hitler of the Middle East.” Saudi Arabia severed ties with Iran in 2016, and has threatened to develop nuclear weapons if Iran does.
8. The Afghan military reportedly bombed a mosque, killing at least 70 people. Fifteen Taliban fighters were reported killed along with 50 civilians in the military helicopter strike.
10. SpaceX launched another cargo-loaded rocket into orbit. It will carry supplies to NASA’s International Space Station, located 250 miles above Earth.