- Paras Griffin/Getty Images
- During a recent episode of the podcast Ladies Like Us, T.I. said he accompanies his daughter Deyjah to yearly gynecological exams to make sure her hymen is still intact, which he believes signals she hasn’t had sex.
- On a Monday episode of “Red Table Talk,” T.I. talked more about his comments regarding his daughter’s sexual behavior, and defended his decision to protect Deyjah’s virginity over his son’s.
- The hymen is the thin membrane that covers the opening of the vagina. It typically breaks the first time a woman has penetrative sex, but can also break from bike riding, inserting a tampon, or horseback riding.
- Additionally, some women aren’t even born with hymens, while others need them surgically removed.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more.
Rapper T.I. is known for his single “Live Your Life,” but he has some conditions when it comes to the way his 18-year-old daughter lives hers.
During a recent episode of the podcast Ladies Like Us, T.I. said he accompanies his daughter Deyjah to yearly gynecological exams to make sure her hymen, the thin membrane that covers the opening of the vagina, is still intact. According to the rapper and common thinking, an intact hymen signals a woman has likely never had penetrative sex before.
“If my son goes out and gets a girl pregnant, how is the household changed for those nine months? The household does not necessarily change for those nine months,” the rapper explained to Jada Pinkett Smith on Monday’s episode of “Red Table Talk.”
“Whereas if my daughter comes home [pregnant], my household is changed almost immediately,” he continued, adding, “The stakes are higher.”
Outside of controversial nature of attending an 18-year-old daughter’s doctor’s appointment to glean details about her sex life (or lack thereof), as well as his approach to parenting his daughter compared to his son, T.I.’s strategy isn’t medically sound. It’s possible for a woman to be without a hymen and still to have never had sex.
Being sexually inactive doesn’t ensure your hymen is intact
When Deyjah’s gynecologist told T.I. there are other ways a woman’s hymen can break outside of sex like bike riding, horseback riding, and general physical activity or sports, he told the doctor he was aware of these factors.
“So I say, ‘Look doc, she don’t ride no horses, she don’t ride no bike, she don’t play no sports. Just check the hymen please and give me back my results expeditiously,'” the rapper explained. He added that his daughter gives him consent to check out her medical records.
There are other explanations, though, for why a woman may not have a hymen and the absence of one doesn’t indicate a woman has never had sex, Insider previously reported.
According to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the hymen can indeed be stretched or torn during vaginal intercourse, but using tampons or finger play during masturbation or intimate moments with a partner can also lead the delicate membrane to tear.