- Tiger Woods made his return to Augusta National official on Thursday after missing the Masters the past two years.
- His first shot did not go well, veering off course and into the crowd gathered in anticipation of his comeback.
- Woods recovered brilliantly, though, and was able to save par on the hole.
After two years on the sidelines, Tiger Woods finally made his return to Augusta National to compete in the Masters on Thursday.
The golf world has been looking forward to Woods’ return, and the anticipation could not have been higher as he stepped into the first tee box at Augusta National. But on his first swing back at the Masters, Woods hit the ball straight into the crowd.
— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) April 5, 2018
It was definitely not the start Woods hoped to have, but in Tiger fashion, he recovered brilliantly, scooping the ball out of the woods to the edge of the green on his second shot and then two-putting from there to save par.
Woods’ comeback has easily been the biggest story in golf heading into the first major of the year, with ticket prices shooting up in anticipation of his return. Woods even briefly became the favorite to win the tournament in Las Vegas after a string of brilliant play, though his odds eventually settled.
The opening hole was just the first of 72 at the tournament, but after holding their breath after his tee shot, Tiger fans around the world could exhale when he came back to start the day even.
More Masters coverage:
- 34 things that make the Masters one of the quirkiest events in sports
- The Masters has insanely strict rules – here are the things they can throw you out for doing
- How to qualify for the Masters, the world’s most prestigious golf tournament
- How to get tickets to the Masters, one of the most exclusive sporting events in the world
- How to watch the Masters tournament online for free
- Food and beer at the Masters is the biggest bargain in sports